UCs and OOS

<p>My D is a junior and plans on applying to Irvine, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz. She would be an OOS as we’re from NY. We’re not stangers to being an OOS. My oldest D is in her third year at Ohio State. California is much farther away so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what she can expect as an OOS at a UC pretty far from home. FYI: she’s not a party girl (no drinking/smoking, etc.). She’s an outdoor girl, very athletic (is hoping to run XC/track), not interested at all in Greek life.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>So cross out UCSB and UCSC. Those schools are party schools.
UCI is commuter school (empty during weekends)
For an outdoor girl is better UCD, UCSD, UCLA or UCB</p>

<p>^ Most all colleges are “party schools” if that’s what a student is looking for. My daughter applied OOS to UCLA and UCSC. UCSC definitely has the more outdoorsy vibe. Although her high fashion friends from LA said “don’t apply there it’s in the woods!” she loved it and will be anxiously awaiting her admission decision tonight.</p>

<p>Neither of those three campuses would be a good fit. Davis, SD are better fits.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. Can you be more specific as to why these aren’t a good fit?</p>

<p>OP: all of the campuses are very different. You need to visit to make that judgment. My D expected Santa Barbara to be her top choice and we traveled up to Santa Cruz only because we were already 3000 miles from home. By the time we left she had decided not to apply to UCSB or UCSD (which she also had expected to like) and, as I mentioned above, loved UCSC. No one can really tell you what would or would not be a good fit for your child. You need to see for yourself.</p>