UC's DO look at senior grades (first semester)

<p>I went to UCR today and actually spoke with an admissions officer. I was confused and asked him where he explicitly stated that they look at the first semester. </p>

<p>I have been told for quite a while from CC’ers that UC doesn’t look into senior grades at all so I just wanted to clear that up.</p>

<p>With the exception of augmented review, the UCs won't even see your senior year grades; but, augmented review is rare. So, for the vast majority of applicants, the answer is No, they do not use senior grades in admissions. UC does look at the strength of your senior year schedule, however. </p>

<p>(Read the application instructions when it available. The instructions clearly state to send transcripts after senior year is completed. Thus, the admissions readers won't have senior grades.)</p>

<p>What if you're on a block schedule and the first "semester" of your senior year ends before applications go in? That's my situation. I'll already have some final semester grades before my applications go in. Will they count?</p>

<p>Note sure, but highly unlikely; from UC's own website:</p>

<p>
[quote]
Only the grades you earn in "a-g" subjects in the 10th and 11th grades - including summer sessions - are used to calculate your preliminary GPA.

[/quote]
</p>

<p><a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/scholarship_reqs.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/scholarship_reqs.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>For senior year the UC's will look only at the strength of your schedule. Additionally you may not have any grades of D or F and must maintain a weighted 3.0 averaged over the entire senior year. For UCLA the 3.0 is unweighted averaged over the entire senior year and for UCB the 3.0 is unweighted and per semester. You also must adhere to the list of courses you state you are taking during senior year on your application. Should you drop or change any senior year class you risk being rescinded.</p>