UC's in General, but mainly UCSC vs UCR

my son graduated from Chico a few years ago, had a great experience and got a good education, he was a finance major and works in his field for a mid sized financial services company near Sacramento.

Chico is a college town of about 100k that surrounds a campus of around 18k students that dates back more than 100 years, historic brick, oaks and a creek flow through campus. Most students live within a mile or 2 of campus and the place has a real buzz to it when school is in session - definitely worth a tour. Chico (like many CSUs) has an honors program that might appeal to you (priority reg, smaller GE classes, etc).

A couple other CSUs with high concentrations of students around them, SLO (which is probably a reach) SDSU (probably will admit you) and Humboldt (which isn’t for everyone). Another to put on your radar is Sonoma which is smaller than most other CSUs and has a really nice residential feel - with lots of on campus housing.

As i noted above, apply really broadly, tour a bunch of these places in the coming months and find the one that’s right for you.

Well, that is quite useful – they should put a link to it from their frosh admissions web pages. Local area preference does appear to be significant at CSULB.

@ucbalumnus: I agree it is very useful information and it would be nice if all the other Cal states would make similar data available to prospective applicants.

1 Like

Hi @Gumbymom, with the new UC developments when it comes to test scores how will this negatively affect my chances because my test score was one of the best parts of my application: December 2019 - 31(25,30,35,32)
My Colleges are:
UCLA
UCSB
UCI
UCSC
CPSLO
SDSU
CSULB

@SDSUHopefulClassof2025: The Cal states are test blind this admission cycle and GPA is their main criteria for admission, so this ruling changes nothing for Fall 2021.

For the UC’s, if they will no longer look at your test scores, they will rely more on GPA, so that will have some repercussions for you but you also have the personal insight essays and EC’s which could compensate for your lower GPA. For the UC’s, it can hurt your chances if they do not consider your ACT but UC’s have always been more GPA focused than test focused.

I highly suggest you consider a few more Cal states as options when you apply just to have more choices since now the submission of test scores may be in limbo for the UC’s.

If GPA will be the main admission criteria, then your CSU/UC GPA capped weighted is below the averages for all but CSULB.

Hi @Gumbymom it’s me again. I was wondering about UCSB. It is my second choice after UCLA, but with my GPA (3.8) and the lack of test scores it seems to be an immense reach. I would really love to get accepted here and was wondering if there was anything I can do to increase my chances of admission. I am sort of frightened because I was looking at their biological sciences website and they recommended a year of Biology, Chemistry, Trigonometry and Physics, of which I don’t have the latter. Is there a specific major I should pick? My possible career paths are PT or Science Educator at the high school level or higher.

@SDSUHopefulClassof2025: Since Biological Sciences is in the College of Letters and Sciences at UCSB, this college does not admit by major. If admitted, you would be placed into the Pre-Biology major and still need to take the required courses to declare the major.

Freshman admits may declare the full major at the end of their second year provided that they have completed MCDB 1A,1B, EEMB 2, 3 (2.0 gpa required), MCDB 1AL, EEMB 3L and either MCDB 1BL or EEMB 2L (2.0 gpa required), Chem 1ABC and two other preparatory courses (2.0 gpa required).

Non-Biology majors can declare the major as follows:
** Non-biology Majors Switching to the Biology Major
First Year (Freshman) students - may declare the pre-biology major after successful completion of chemistry 1A and 1B (+ labs if possible). If taking Chemistry 1B in Spring quarter you must also enroll in chemistry 1C (either Summer or Fall) and enroll in MCDB 1A (either Summer or Fall) before you can change into the pre-biology major. Concurrent enrollment in chemistry 1C and MCDB 1A is allowed.

Second Year (Sophomore) students - who are starting the Chemistry 1ABC series must go to UCSB Summer School, at the end of their second year, and take the introductory biology courses MCDB 1A/L, MCDB 1B, EEMB 2 and either MCDB 1BL or EEMB 2L. Provided that the student successfully completes these Summer courses they may declare the pre-biology major (the student must also be enrolled in EEMB 3 in Fall quarter).**

That said, since test scores are now not a consideration in the UC admission process, recommended courses for your intended major will most likely have a greater impact on your chances.

Any student applying to a STEM major, the recommendations are always a year of each science: Biology/Chemistry and Physics at any level in HS.

So can you include the missing course in your Senior year schedule? Take a semester at a local CC which would fulfill the recommendation by end of Senior year?

For PT school, you can major in any subject as long as you complete the PT course requirements.

Some common majors for PT school:
** Exercise Science
Kinesiology
Biology
Health Sciences
Psychology
Athletic Training
Exercise Physiology
General Studies
Science
Allied Health
Nutrition
Physiology
Exercise Kinesiology**

Also for being an educator/science teacher, you do not need a degree in Biology to pursue this field.

**Do I need a degree in science to
teach this subject?
Knowledge of science is needed to teach the subject. Usually, advanced course work or certification is needed, along with introductory computer science courses. If your degree is in a subject other than science, you can satisfy the subject-matter competence requirement by passing specific exams. **

I would apply to your preferred major at least for UCSB.

I am taking Honors Anatomy and Physiology instead of AP Physics right now, should this be changed or is it to late?

Changing the course would be up to your HS’s policy. My niece whom is a Pre-PT major at CSULB this Fall did not take Physics but took Anatomy and Physiology instead. Although she did not apply to UCSB, she did get into almost all the schools she applied.

Recommendations are just that recommendations, but since there is so much not known regarding this admission cycle, it really is a judgement call. Anatomy and Physiology is very applicable to your field of study. I would not change my schedule for just this one school. All you can do is present the best possible application and if you are doing well (A’s) in the Anatomy class, that will speak for itself.

Do you think I should take physics at a CC spring semester?

If you are able to fit it into your schedule, then it would be worth taking Physics. Having a prior knowledge of the subject would be helpful before taking it in college and it could benefit your GPA.

Just remember that any CC class taken will be on your college transcript, so when you apply for PT school, all these CC grades will need to be submitted. If you think you can get an A in the course, then by all means consider taking the class. Also, depending upon the major requirements, if the CC course is UC/CSU transferable, it may place you in a higher level Physics course once you matriculate to a college. If you decide to take a CC Physics course and then retake the same course at your college, this may be an issue with PT schools. Some may not allow a repeat unless it is below a C, while some may average the grades for both courses etc

Again, UCSB is recommending Physics but it is not required. I would not stress yourself out over this one course and this one school. If you are not accepted to UCSB, it will not be due to this one course.

Hi @Gumbymom it’s me again, sorry to keep bothering you. I was filling out my UC application and was coming to the crossroads that is choosing between UCSC and UCR. I get a lot of mixed feedback from both schools and can’t choose between the two (My mom is only paying for 4 UC’s tops) and I wanted to choose more of a target school. I was just wondering what are the pros and cons or which one is easier to be admitted. UCR is leagues closer to me, but it is also in the middle of nowhere, whereas UCSC has good academics, but I heard its extracurriculars aren’t as good and the college system seems confusing. Any advice would be appreciated

I don’t mean to step on @Gumbymom 's toes, since she has a handy dandy chart for everything, but here’s the admit data for both schools:

Riverside
https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses-majors/riverside/freshman-admit-data.html

Santa Cruz
https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses-majors/santa-cruz/freshman-admit-data.html

They look fairly similar.

@sushiritto: No worries, everyone should feel free to provide advice and admission information.

You stated your Capped weighted UC GPA is 3.9 so here is the data for your UC GPA range for admits but unfortunately this is 2019 data. In general, UCR is an easier admit than UCSC. Both UC’s have good academics but campus location is very different. UCSC is considered isolated in comparison to UCR so transportation costs should be a consideration. Also in the UC rankings, UCR has overtaken UCSC (if you are into rankings).

With your GPA as stated above, they are very similar.

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 12%
UCLA: 7%
UCSD: 33%
UCSB: 32%
UCD: 47%
UCI: 35%
UCSC: 72%
UCR: 87%
UCM: 96%

**2020 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range: **
UCB: 4.22 (4.13-4.30)
UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.31)
UCSD: 4.18(4.04-4.28)
UCSB: 4.17 (4.03-4.27)
UCI: 4.11 (3.96-4.26)
UCD: 4.11 (3.97-4.25)
UCSC: 3.94 (3.71-4.16)
UCR: 3.88 (3.65-4.11)
UCM: 3.68 (3.40-3.96)

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/all-uc-undergraduate-campuses-in-top-40-us-news-world-report

@Gumbymom do you know anything about student/social life at the two campuses? I know that Riverside does not necessarily have the best location and the surrronding area is a bit run down, but the sudden drop in perceived academics of UCSC concerns me.

@SDSUHopefulClassof2025: I personally do not have any direct experience with student/social life for either campus.

UCR tends to have more commuters vs. UCSC. UCSC is located in smaller town with a beach vibe. When it comes to natural beauty, you cannot beat UCSC and the Redwoods, however the campus is not within walking distance of any restaurants or entertainment. You would need to take the bus or car to get to most places around Santa Cruz.

UCR has the University village with shops and entertainment across the street from campus although location is not the most desirable.

Both my son’s had friends that attended these schools and had good experiences at each but it really depends upon the individual and on what they are looking for in their college experience.

NIche might give you a better insight to campus/social life for both of these colleges.

Not to be a downer but, this year is going to be nuts from an admission perspective. Nobody (including me) knows what the threshold at selective schools is going to be. It is premature to choose between the UCs - some of which will probably reject you.

At this stage your goal should be getting in lots of places, then after sorting out which open door is going to be best for you.

Apply to all of the UCs that interest you - you might get into several. Also apply to 5-7 CSUs. For Biz, I’d include CPSLO, SDSU, CSULB, Chico, Fullerton, Sac, SF and maybe even an OOS or 2 like UNR or Boise State. Several of them are likely to accept you. See where you get in, then narrow it down.

I know its a drag but, that’s the reality of this time.

Keep an open mind, do your best and things will work out.

Good luck.

UC Riverside Highlander alumnus from way back when there was not even the University Village or the Student Recreation Center yet! Was in West Lothian dorm for a few years
Aberdeen and Inverness (A&I) was the only other one then
now have East Lothian, Pentland Hills, Glen Mor, etc
barely recognize the campus now (best to take a tour of it)
one of the fastest growing UC’s for a reason. I was in a similar situation to you and a few hours away (would go home on weekends about half the time)
a good number of commuters so things slowed down on weekends, but still a lot of Northern Cal students full time in the dorms with low key parties, and some bigger house parties. We studied very hard and worked out like demons in the old school gym back then with universal machines, and metal weights! Gotta “hike to the C”
a tradition for UCR students
did it one freezing night with some dorm mates and got sick the next day! There was no “Spring Splash” back then but “Scots Week” got pretty crazy with competition between the 2 dorms! Lots of very good bands would play at “The Barn” on campus with Wednesday nooners at the Bell Tower. Is one of the few UC’s still having that personal touch with a more collaborative education. First new medical school in 50 years. Riverside county is the third fastest growing county in the nation with growth projected through year 2065
the campus is positioned very well to continue onward and upward in a big way! Received a solid education and enjoyed my time at UC Riverside
go Highlanders!!

Thank you so much!

Hey! UCSC and UCR are both very good schools, but UCR can’t beat UCSC’s location. UCSC is located 25 minutes away from silicon valley and 50 minutes away from the heart of San Francisco, so if you’re interested in computer science or computer engineering, this will be one of the best schools you could go to in the nation. Also, please don’t make the mistake of choosing your school based off of rankings. I know UCSC and UCR are ranked behind other UC’s like UCSB and UCI, but the academics are pretty much the same. All the UC’s have near identical curriculum and will all provide you with a top tier education. Academics at UCSB and UCR, as an example, are extremely similar so you won’t have any significant advantages attending one over the other. A couple months into college, you’ll completely forget about the “prestige factor” of college and you’ll never look back at it.

If you’re still deciding between UCSC and UCR, apply to the school that you see yourself enjoying more. If you want to live on a campus that’s in a forest overlooking the ocean surrounded by wildlife, go to UCSC. If you want to live in a desert that’s close to Los Angeles, go to UCR.

By the way, US News ranks schools with a methodology that doesn’t really determine how good a school is. They put things like average alumni giving rate, faculty compensation, class size index, undergraduate academic SURVEY, and graduation rates. Sure, these hold some meaning, but how does any of these determine how good of an education you’ll get? Pretend like you never knew about these college ranking websites and then choose between schools. You will be much happier and successful going to the college that you love rather than one that “ranks higher.” The UC schools are the best public schools in the nation, so comparing UCLA to UCSC is like winning $1,000,001 vs $1,000,000 in the lottery. Best of luck to you during the admission process!