UC's vs Purdue?

<p>Well I am considering Davis, UCSB and Purdue ,but I am at crossroads at all three colleges. Each having there own weaknesses and strengths. Also, I plan on appealing to UCSD and I would choose that over the three. But, I wouldn't mind going to these three if it does not pass.</p>

<p>I plan on majoring in Electrical, Chemical, or Bio Engineering (Right now in that order). I got into Purdue for Undecided within Engineering, Davis and SB for Undeclared Physical Sciences/ College of Letters and science. I applied for undeclared to not risk rejection, I have seen that major change can be done with the right classes and a maintained GPA, so I am not too worried about that. </p>

<p>Davis seems to be a nice college, right now I am favoring it, but still am not completely sure... Purdue has the Engineering prestige (#9 in the country), but I hear its very difficult and weeds people out. SB seems to be a nice engineering school as well. The thing about SB is that the party school nature of it actually makes me shaky because I want to stay concentrated in college. I want to have fun, but I do not want to go over the top. </p>

<p>Price is kind of an issue. My parents will pay for Purdue if I want to go, but I think it will be 10k more. I want to know if its that much better then the other two that I have to leave CA and go there.</p>

<p>I plan on going to Grad school, so essentially I want to pick the best school for Grad school. </p>

<p>I lived in/by Purdue when I was a child so I know the surroundings, I plan on visiting the other two in the coming weeks. </p>

<p>So, please CC, help me out? Thank You!</p>

<p>Hi The Legend</p>

<p>I’m also from California and I’ve been accepted to UCI, UCSB, and UCM. But one of the cons about the UC system is that none of the majors really stand out in any of their schools. All their majors are ok and nothing stands out. But Purdue on the other hand, Engineering really stands out from rest of the majors. I highly recommend Purdue because of their environment, prestige, and academics. If you’re planning to go to grad school, then Purdue should be the way to go. Price is the issue for me also, but I’m applying to a lot of scholarships and hoping to get a good financial aid packet soon. My parents are fine with me going to Purdue if that’s what I want. It should be your choice, but I’m telling you, Purdue all the way.</p>

<p>I think it’s a decision on whether which college you like more, since academically they are pretty on par with each other.</p>

<p>A lot of my friends going oos are saying that they’re scared of the California budget cuts and that it’s going to end up as pay more get less. Also, they want to experience a different side of US. </p>

<p>People who stay in California are the people who want to stay within this California community. A lot people are scared of living in uncharted waters.Also, some of my Berkeley friends say the budget cuts haven’t affected them at all. But yet, there’s been a rumor that UC’s are bumping up another 12%. So, I don’t really know what to believe. </p>

<p>Overall, It’s very subjective. You can go to a UC and have the similar friends from high school, maybe see some of your old friends. They have nice weather so you’re never going to sealed inside your dorm by the weather.
You go to Purdue and experience a melting pot of students, since there’s a handful of international students. You can learn the different slangs of the east coast. You can see snow.</p>

<p>I’ve never been to Purdue,btw.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replied guys!</p>

<p>Well… the only reason I am considering Purdue is their engineering program. But people have told me that Davis and SB are right there for the same major. Also, I seem to have the comfort of a major change and still go to a good school for that major. </p>

<p>Sigh… will be tough decision in the coming weeks. I hope I get in to SD appeal. But, wouldn’t mind any of the UC’s either.</p>

<p>I would recommend going to Purdue as well unless it causes financial constraints. If it costs an additional $10k a year then it’s definitely worth it. To be honest, I never heard of UCSB but I did hear of UC Davis and never knew they had a good Engineering program. Going to Purdue will “wow” future recruiters since Purdue is such a well known and respected university. My cousin who majored in Chemical Engineering in Korea had a professor who graduated from Purdue as well and I heard he was well respected from students and faculty alike. If you plan on going to Graduate School then having a transcript from Purdue should help as well due to the name of the university. Just do well when you arrive on-campus and try to motivate yourself to do your work. If you don’t, you can possibly be one of those students who are weeded out after their first year in the program. People like you come to Purdue from all over the country and world since they want a Purdue degree in Engineering.</p>

<p>Well, after weeks of researching and talking to Purdue/ UC students, this is what I have… I am writing all this down to help others with similar problems. =)</p>

<p>Well, I am probably going into Bio Medical Engineering (BME) and for this particular engineering, Davis is one of the best in the country. Overall, Engineering for the two UC’s and Purdue are not as far as the rankings suggest. Purdue is superior to those two UC’s in EECS, Mechanical and such. Overall, it is a very nice school for engineering. </p>

<p>As for the other popular major: Business. The UC’s are actually better then Purdue from what I have gathered. The extra amount of money is not worth it for Business. </p>

<p>Also, for people who want to go to Grad School. The advice is to save your money and just do very well in your undergrad school. Because it comes down to what you do in undergrad and not where you go. </p>

<p>For me personally, Purdue wants me to pay the full price, 40,500 or so. Davis is 25,000-28,000 or so. I am heavily leaning towards Davis, and will probably end up there. I did appeal to UCSD, so thats basically what I am waiting for.</p>

<p>I hope that this helped any one else who is making some similar decision.</p>

<p>Good Luck to all!</p>