UCSB or CC then Davis?

Hi everyone!
I recently got accepted into UCSB but got rejected from my dream school, Davis.
I never really considered SB, but after some research, I found out that it had a pretty neat campus and was academically strong (knew this already though)
The thing is, I don’t know which is better: Going straight to a UC or to do two years at a cc then tag transfer to Davis?
I plan to visit both campuses very soon and I have some questions and pros/cons (from what i’ve heard so this list will probably change when i visit both campuses)

UCSB

Pros:
-good uc academically
-beachy area (i love water)
-biking
-will post more when i visit

Cons:
-Roughly eight hours away (I’m in norcal)
-Costs a lot (financial issues)

UCD transfer

Pros:
-beautiful campus as well (or so i heard)
-bking as well
-closest uc to home (roughly two and a half hours away)
-more family in sac so i could aways live with them and save more money
-relatively cheaper if i do general ed classes at a cc then transfer
-can help with family at home during those two years

Cons:
-CC first, then junior transfer, and maybe i’ll change my mind and decide i don’t want to go to davis anymore
-Still the costs
-might not like the small town feel as i currently live in a small town and want a change
-stuck for two more years in the same town

Of course, like I said, my opinions will change when I actually see the campuses myself, but do you guys have any inputs?
For people who transferred to Davis (or any UC really), did you regret not having the “full” college experience?
Was it a difficult transition from a CC to a UC?
In general, what are the classes and people like at UC Davis and/or UC Santa Barbara?
Additionally, does anybody have any input on moving from norcal to socal for college, or vice versa, or being out-of-state?
What was the experience like?
Sorry for all the questions!
Any feedback is great! :slight_smile:

Oh!I forgot to mention SB accepted me with my first major, pre-biology if that helps.

I’d go with UCSB. It’s about as academically strong as Davis I’d say and it would be better for you to stay in a UC for four years as the shift of two years of community college to two years of Davis would be more drastic and won’t prepare you as well academically.

I agree with ^^ above poster. Also since you live 2 1/2 hours away from Davis, you will still be required to live on campus so the costs for both schools would be the same. Good Luck with your new Dream School.

@metalmonk28 That’s what I was thinking. I might as well experience the quarter system first insetad of getting used to the semester system, so thanks!

@Gumbymom‌ That is also true. I think one of the only issues is it’s still kind of far, but I’ll definitely take this into consideration, thank you :slight_smile:

My older son is at UCD and we live in SoCal so we are opposite situation with distance. Travel has not been a problem. He flies out of SMF to Ontario and can be home in an hour. Younger son is at SDSU and takes the train which is a 2 hr ride. His older brother beats him home every time. SB airport is just down the road from UCSB so you should be able to fly home easily. Once you get to UCSB, you may not want to leave.

@Gumbymom‌ That’s really helpful to know actually! I was wondering if the distance would be a problem but it doesn’t seem like it for you guys! Thank you so much for the input! :slight_smile:

No problem! Yeah distance is definitely not a problem for me as I am planning on attending The Ohio State and am a California resident.

I’m from Stockton and I went to UCSB as a freshmen, class of 2014. UCSB was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I know it’s bias lol. I loved the people there, they are all very friendly and chill. It is a great feeling to be in love with your school. I took great classes as a Geography major, but outside of my major I really loved the Dinosaurs class at UCSB! Professors are as fun and chill as their students. Living in SB/IV is really expensive though, but it is do-able somehow.

In regards to the moving from nor cal to so cal situation. I wanted out of Stockton, for obvious reasons (bad city) and I think going to So Cal gave me a lot of perspective. SB was complete opposite of Stockton, the rules, the people, the environment were entirely different. SB taught me a lot about people and the way successful organizations work. I was able to gain a lot of insight, new perspectives and opportunities that Stockton did not offer to me. Currently I have a great job near Stockton and I moved back even though I so desperately wanted to move out as a senior in high school. I really do have a new set of skills that make me stand out in Stockton and I expect to be working hard with my community. Point is, if I didn’t go far and try a new environment I wouldn’t have learned new, useful skills that I could apply to my community when I went back home. It’s definitely a culture shock going to so cal but every part of my experience in so cal was exciting.

@aarlover20‌ Thank you so much for your input☺️ Reading about your experience was very helpful, especially since you are from Norcal as well, and can understand the situation I am in. I’ll also be taking your response into consideration (so far I’m really leaning towards SB now; time to visit and convince parents!)

How much of a concern are expenses to you? SB is an excellent school, although the cost of living is high. If it’s not an issue, go to UCSB!

If it’s an option for you, you can live with your other family members, attend Sacramento City, and do TAG to Davis (and other schools). If you start this summer and have AP credits you could be done in a year (thereby subverting both the staying-in-the-same-town and the two-years part of your downsides). If you decide you like Davis you can stay, and if you decide you don’t you can transfer elsewhere (many sac city transfers TAP to UCLA, UCB, or TAG to the other campuses).

I agree with @autmnal

You hint that money may be tight. If so, i’d coach you to stay local and save the money and TAG to a UC in a couple of years. You’ll save $50k-$60k by doing so.

If you’ve got the budget for dorm/away living UCSB is a great school.

@‌autumnal
If I did cc, I’d just do it where I’m living now. I think I’m leaning towards SB though.

@NCalRent‌
The financial aid sb gives me unofficially is pretty decent actually, so that’s why I’m leaning towards it! I’ll still think about tagging though.

Thank you to both of your answers! :slight_smile: