UCSB or UC Davis for biology and/or environmental science major

I have been accepted to both UCSB and UC Davis. UC Davis was always one of my top schools, but now I’m second guessing it. I dont know where to go and which is better for either majors bc I dont know which path I want to go down yet (but I’ve been accepted as bio for both schools). SB is cheaper but I liked the davis campus wayyyy more when I visited. I think I need to revisit both, but SB is 5 hours away. I feel like I will have more internship and hands-on opportunities if I go to Davis but I’m still not sure. Can students or people from both schools help or try to sell their school to me.

I am an alum of UCSB and have a child at UCD. I am knowledgeable about both schools but won’t try to sell you on either one.

What are your aspirations after you graduate? The two environmental programs are very different. UCSB has more of a pure science program and UCD’s program is interdisciplinary including econ, policy, etc.

UCSB:https://www.es.ucsb.edu/academics/es-major
UCD: https://desp.ucdavis.edu/our-majors

Regarding internships, you will have opportunities at both schools but you will need to make an effort to seek them out.

I do want a more policy side to it. Also wouldn’t UCD give more opportunities with Sacramento neighboring? UCSB is amazing but quite secluded.

Being happy at the school you attend is important since you will strive to be better student and hopefully more successful. If you are leaning towards policy, then being near Sacramento is an advantage. Regardless of which school you attend, you still have to make the effort and utilize all the resources available since no one is going to hand you a research opportunity or internship.

My son was an Env Sci major at UCD (not policy) but there were plenty of opportunities if you seek them out. The more private sector experience (outside of the university) you can accumulate as an Undergrad, the better position you place yourself into for jobs. Also consider graduate school in the future since many policy jobs want 2-5 years job experience along with a Masters.

Best of luck with your decision.

@Gumbymom @lkg4answers well, wouldn’t UCD give more opportunities with Sacramento and SF neighboring? UCSB is amazing but quite secluded and i’m afraid it would have less opportunities.

When it comes to internships, going to USCB will not limit these opportunities since many are offered during the summer months but close access to Sacramento/Bay area is helpful especially if Environmental policy is of interest.

UCD does offer on campus internships through their Arboretum and research conducted by the ES professors. UCSB also offers similar internships for that hands-on experience.

Also both schools offer the domestic abroad program specifically aimed at Environmental Science majors which is a great option for a rising 2nd or 3rd year ES major.

http://eap.ucop.edu/SharedPrograms/nrs/Pages/default.aspx

I do not think that one program is better than the other, so which school would you prefer to spend the next 4 years. There is no wrong choice although my bias lies with UCD.

@Gumbymom I have chosen UC Davis! Thank you so much for your input!!!

Best of luck at UCD and I hope you have a great experience as an Aggie!!!