UCSB RMP 2022 Summer research program

I couldn’t find any thread for UCSB RMP summer program. so started one -

1. What are the stages of their application process? Has anyone submitted their application yet in early submission this year 2022? Would there be any supplemental questions after submitting the main application?

2. How would you rank this program compared to other research programs BU RISE, SSP, SSI or iResearch, UCSC SIP?

1 Like

Need answers to the same above questions

Hello,

RMP alumni here. I’m happy to answer your questions!

1. The first stage of the process is submitting the main application. After you create an account, you will have the option to apply to the RMP application. Once you finish the application, submit a writing sample, gather teacher recommendations, and pay the fee it will take a few days for the main application to be processed. Afterward, you will be sent the link to the supplemental application in your email. You have to finish this application in order for your application to be fully complete. After 10-20 days, the committee might ask you for an interview. Don’t worry this is a good sign! Also, it’s best to schedule an interview quickly after you receive the request. After you complete your interview, you will get a decision in 1-7 days. It will either be a rejection or acceptance, very rarely will it be a waitlist.

*Note: UCSB RMP is extremely competitive to get into. Typically the acceptance rate is between 6-8% but last year it dropped to ~4%.

1. If I had to rank this program, I would say it’s around the same caliber as BU RISE. However, the acceptance rate is notoriously low since the program takes the most accomplished students, so it might have the selectivity of SSP. You’ll also notice that a lot of alumni for RMP end up at Ivies and other Top 20 schools, so it does have high prestige. As for UCSC SIP, its prestige is lower than RMP but it could be a better fit depending on the type of experience you want. As an admit of UCSC SIP, UCSC does a better job of ensuring you have a solid foundation in research and the ability to form strong bonds with your peers. However, it’s less prestigious than RMP but longer, cheaper, and easier to get into. If you are a sophomore, I recommend doing UCSC SIP first and then trying for RMP afterward. You’ll have a better chance of getting into RMP and SIP has a higher acceptance rate for returning interns.

If you have more questions, let me know!

3 Likes

hey i have a question. do they accept international students ?

Yes, there were several during my cohort. Just be warned that adjusting to the time difference may be a bit difficult

Anyone here who was accepted into SRA AI ML-related tracks in 2021? Can someone share STATs to see what kind of application they accept?

1 Like

Can you get accepted without an interview?

I have never heard of that happening. But hey, maybe it’s possible?

Could you please share your stats?

GPA:
4.0 unweighted GPA
4.2 Weighted GPA

AP Classes:
AP Chemistry
AP English Langauge
AP French

AP Scores:
AP World History: 4

College Courses/Dual Enrollment: 10 classes
(Double Major in Economics and Mathematics for AA-T)
~Exploring Health Issues
~Intro to Stats
~US History to 1877
~US History to Today
~Intro to Art History
~Calculus I & II
~Physical Geography
~English Reading and Composition
~Comparitive Government & Politics
~Intro to Micro-Economics

Extracurriculars
~Red Cross
~Book Club
~Robotics (Treasurer, Won 1st place in UC Berkeley competition)
~Writing/Arts Club (co-founder and co-president)
~Peer Tutor (Nominated to become a mentor for the following year)
~UC Berkeley Mini University (workshops and lectures to introduce high school students to engineering)
~UC Berkeley High School Engineering Program (worked with a chemical engineering student to design and program an algorithm for a water purification system)
~Religious School Teacher/Coordinator (worked with 200+ students each summer)

These are my stats, but they aren’t truly impressive. However, in my application, I did mention specific projects and classes that I have done that connect to previous projects. I think that helped my application more than my raw stats since I could demonstrate that I was prepared for the program.

Do they offer any financial Aid for international students ?

I think they do, but priority is given to California residents so it might be harder to receive a full scholarship

has anyone had an interview for RMP yet?

no, did you get offered an interview?

I received the interview request

When did you submit?

When did you submit?

January 26. How about you?

1 Like

Congrats! When did you submit?

1.24 lmao. Probably rejected.