Ucsb sra 2021

Oh ok! I’m deciding between Tracks 5, 7, and 9.

Nice! Track 9 seemed super interesting, but it seems like it would be pretty competitive, so I just went for track 6 lol.

Haha really? I thought they’d all be fairly competitive.

Well track 7 and 9 seem like they’d be the most competitive since they’re CS and AI oriented, which seems to be a really common and competitive field. I’m not sure about track 5 though.

I just received my decision letter and I got in!! It says I have to respond within 5 business days to secure my slot though; does anyone know if cancelations are possible? If so, how do I cancel? I have some more summer decisions coming out later in March and in April that I might choose over SRA, so I don’t want to commit to anything too early.

Hi! I’m an OOS who attended last year and I would say that the program is pretty generous with their financial aid if you qualify (I got a full scholarship which was pretty surprising because I know in-state people get priority). We had lectures for around 3-4 hours every day (I think every track might differ but our track did receive a schedule at the beginning of the program) and we also had a lot of freedom to conduct our own research projects independently. There is a capstone seminar at the end of the program where you present your research findings and there were activities scheduled for every day of the week ( typically at night there would either be a group bonding activity (such as tracks competition against the each other) or a lecture/presentation from a professor on various different topics. Let me know if you have any more questions!

I think you have to pay $100 to accept your spot and then $2000 in late May/ early June. For cancellations, it is best to contact support with the specifics of your case.

Hi, does anyone know if SRA is actually that competitive? I’m choosing between SRA and the GSTEM program at NYU.

Hi, was wondering what type of research you were able to conduct? I’m choosing between this program and NYU GSTEM.

Hello! I don’t know too much about GSTEM, it looks like a great program for women in STEM. I believe that more people get accepted into SRA (I looked at the GSTEM website and they only accept 40 people while the cohort for SRA is over 200). However each track for SRA is around 20-30 people, so technically, you could say that the individual tracks are more competitive. Another thing that could help you make your decision is the credit that you get for the program. SRA is shorter than GSTEM and you get 4 UC credits while GSTEM only gives you a transcript and no college credit. Hope this helped!

1 Like

Hi! I do wanna start by saying that SRA was such a good experience for me personally (though it was virtual last year, my cohort really bonded and I ended up crying after the program last year because we were all so close lol). As for your research project, it is ultimately up to you and your cohort, and your group members. Each cohort (or track) is centered around a different overarching theme and during the first week of the program, you are put into groups with two other students who have the same interests as you, and the three of y’all will come up with a research question with the help of your professor and advisors. You can see the variety of research projects last year here: https://www.summer.ucsb.edu/sites/default/files/2020%20SRA%20Program_0.pdf.
I may be biased but choose SRA! The profs and teaching assistants are very helpful and very involved during your research and there are so many different activities and events after lectures where all the cohorts attend. The research you and your group want to conduct is 100% up to you and the freedom you will have is unmatchable and your professors and TAs will provide you with all the advice, guidance, and resources you may need

1 Like

Anyone here who was accepted into UCSB SRA AI ML-related tracks in 2021? Can someone share STATs to see what kind of application they accept?