UCSB/UCD Communication Program

I’ve been accepted to both UCSB and UCD as a transfer for the communication major and I’m trying to figure out which would be a better school to ultimately attend. I’ve read that UCSB’s comm program is more nationally ranked, but all their stats are from around 10 years ago on their website.

In terms of school atmosphere alone, I’m a little bit more inclined to go to Davis. I’m from San Francisco, so Davis would be more ideal in terms of being closer to home, and I’m not super big on the party vibe at UCSB, but I do kind of want to go to SoCal and experience something different. I’ve visited the Davis campus and it’s… pretty boring, and haven’t visited SB yet because it would necessitate a whole trip down there. I’ve received no financial aid or any incentive from either school that makes me more inclined to attend.

If anyone has personal experience in the communication programs at either school, I’d really appreciate hearing what you think about it! Thanks so much.

Both are great schools with good comparable comm programs, but it really comes down to the community fit. I strongly suggest you spend time on UCSB’s campus and in Isla Vista before making the decision. After spending time in Isla Vista, I knew it was the college town for me. I’m also not a big partier, but I loved the social aspects of my college experience in SB. Always something fun to do in a completely walkable community that was basically 100% students. So fun! I think it will be tough to make a decision without spending an afternoon in Isla Vista to know if it’s the right environment for you. Best of luck, and congrats on 2 great options!