UCSB vs UCSD for Communications major

I just got accepted off the waitlist for UCSD’s communication major and I was put into Thurgood Marshall. However, I’m having a hard time deciding between sd and sb. Which school has a better communications major?

Congrats on 2 great options! Both are excellent schools and I wouldn’t say either will necessarily open more doors post graduation. I would truly follow your instincts and go where you think you’ll be happiest.

@BayAreaRecruiter Thank you. I think both schools are great but I wanted to compare the two and see which one may be better off for communications.

It’s tough to say because there isn’t a true undergrad ranking of the majors, and your experience will likely come down to quality of professors…which again will just vary from class to class. Is there a career that you find especially interesting? For example, UCSB has a really cool on-campus radio station and their campus newspaper is among the top in the nation. UCSB tends to be a very social campus (i.e. their basketball games and soccer games are packed, huge school spirit, etc). For some, like myself, it was the reason I chose UCSB and I absolutely loved it for those reasons. For others, they’d prefer a quieter campus. Also, I truly enjoyed living in IV and in a college town. Others might prefer living in on-campus housing for 4 years. These are things I would consider because there is likely little difference you’ll find comparing the comm majors. Take a look at the course offering at the individual campuses and see if one has a line-up of courses more interesting (although again, at the end of your 4 years it will likely come down to which environment was a better fit for you). Best of luck! I’m a UCSB grad, but my best friend went to UCSD (in Marshall), so I know both campuses well!

@BayAreaRecruiter I am leaning towards Public Relations and Marketing in the future. I will research more about the classes and see what I can find. Thank you!

Lots of UCSB grads end up in Marketing and PR (many, many of my friends :). You’ll be in great shape either way. Visit both campuses if you can and choose the campus and community that fits you best. Have a wonderful time either way!