UCSB vs UCSD!

<p>I have recently been accepted into both SB and SD as an out of state student. Being from Chicago, I am more than happy to forget about U of I and study in California! However, the academic and research prestige of SD and the overall college experience and party life of SB have me torn! Hoping to study Chemical Engineering and/or Chemistry, any advice?</p>

<p>Both universities are great. I would visit both and decide which one you feel most “at home” at because you will be living and studying there for the next four years.</p>

<p>Are you interested in doing research/doing an internship? UCSB is known for being good in chemical engineering (ranked top 10 in the country I believe) and that can open up a lot of research or internship possibilities (if a school has a good graduate program, it often means more money going into that area which means more opportunities).</p>

<p>I have already visited both of the campuses and SB definitely had a nicer campus in my eyes. I just want to make sure I’m not looking solely at the party scene that UCSB is known for, though I know that ChemEng at UCSB has a good reputation.</p>

<p>First of all UCSB is a great school. They are ranked below Davis (Davis is below SD). SD is a better school but take into consideration of the competition in UCSD. Majority of the kids attending is really focused in their studies which is hard for “average” kids to compete with them… cause in the end what really matters it, did you have fun? and did you get good grades? And -Ishimura, SB has better girls than SD. Come on. I’m going to SB mainly cause i’ve received a grant and i’ll have more fun (i don’t drink but i love the beach) and be able to maintain grades. SB used to be known for their mediocre academics and full of laid back people but things are changing, they are getting a better reputation and it’s expanding. I personally do like the smaller college than a big one like SD…</p>

<p>Actually UCD and UCSB are both number 39, it’s not below Davis :P</p>

<p>is it really? haha oh nice nice :] idk why but i rather go to Davis than SD… maybe cause i grew up here in SD. :/</p>

<p>^That seems to be the thinking for a lot of people. Getting away from home is always fun. I live relatively close to Davis but I still really love the place. I wouldn’t have minded going there.</p>