UCSC Game Design or UCSD ICAM?

I am currently a game design major at UCSC, second year, that just got accepted into UCSD for ICAM. (The funny thing is it was a last minute thing and I literally forgot to submit a portfolio but still got in lmao). Anyways, aside from the friends I made at UCSC I’m really not a huge fan of the small isolated town and the nonexistent Greek Life. However, I am enjoying the game design program and am also planning on Minoring in CS.

On the flip side, UCSD is definitely a better school, and is a super ideal location for me, I’d love to be in SoCal and there are so many more orgs for me to join. The only thing keeping me from going is I’m not too sure about the ICAM major. Will I still be able to pursue a career in game design if I do the ICAM major? I am interested on your experiences in ICAM, since I know it’s very broad and is basically technology + art, and I could definitely expand to things beyond games, but I was wondering if pursuing a game-related curriculum with ICAM was even possible, or if it is worth transferring.

Hey Shallowbucks, Did you end up transferring or continuing with UCSC? I got into both programs (transferring this fall). Not sure which one to pick. I’m intellectual, interested in UX within the game context and graphic design and computer programming. I’m interested in it all and more. Anyway, any insight about the two programs would be amazing. I keep hearing that the game design program at UCSC is going through some “major” changes but don’t have the scoop or the context to know what is going on - if the changes are good or bad or ?? Thanks for any input you can provide!