UCSC or UCM?

i am torn between ucsc and ucm. im 50/50 on both. the main reason why ucm is a better fit for me is because its a semster system and i feel like quarter is too fast. can you tell me about your experience or opinions on both schools? pros and cons? please!!!

The campuses and surrounds are dramatically different. I’d suggest you tour both. One will definitely feel more like home than the other. You are going to spend 4 years there, you might as well like your surrounds.
Congrats and good luck.

What’s your major? The quarter system is fast, but UCSC only allows you to take 3 classes a quarter (plus additional labs) and you catch on to the beat quickly. You can always transfer out if you hate it.

my major is psychology but im planning on changing it. ucsc offers more majors to chose from as well

You really need to visit both schools. UCM is pretty isolated and about 10 min’s from town. There is a bus from campus that will take you into town, but not much do unless you are into the outdoors. Yosemite is about 1 hour away. Campus buildings and dorms are all new and they have a small river running thru campus. Many opportunities in regards to research for undergrads.

UCSC is isolated also, but the town itself is a beach bummy kind of town with more shopping and activities to do. Absolutely beautiful campus with redwoods throughout. Academics are excellent so I would favor UCSC.

I reccomend touring both universities, as they have different “feels”. Santa Cruz, in my opinion of course, is in a prettier location. The campus is on a hill overlooking the city of Santa Cruz and the beautiful Pacific ocean, while Merced feels like it is in the middle of nowhere (in my opinion). Santa cruz is emerced in an apperent forest of Redwoods, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. Personally, the idea of being surrounded by nature is soothing. Im not too familier with Merceds campus, but when I toured the university last fall, i found it to have a relaxed vibe, similar to Santa Cruz. There is a lake next to the campus and a small river that flows out of the campus. Again i highly recommend touring both universities, as my views can differ greatly from yours. Between these two universities, I would personally choose Santa Cruz.