UCSC SIP 2020

does anyone know how difficult it is to get into SIP? and what are the average stats of people who are accepted? the portal just opened a couple of days ago so I’m rly nervous.

I wouldn’t say it’s too bad. I got in as a freshman and my school doesn’t offer any honors classes except for math freshman year so I only had one honors class. My extracurriculars were pretty basic as well (because I was a freshman). The main thing though are the essays. Really show them that you spent time looking through the projects and thinking about what you want to do

what kind of things can we put in our essays

hahah I completely bs’ed the essays when I applied, I think I did it half an hour before the deadline.
Don’t do that

did you get in? if so, how was your experience there?

I did not get in! Essays do count, hehe

Can anyone elaborate on the experience, if you went?

lmao i did the 500 word essay the day of but I kinda clutched up. but yah can anyone share their experience there? I wanna know more about what life is there outside of the classroom and outside of researching, like life at UCSC, what there is to do after researching hours, etc.

Specifically, are projects often added last minute? this year there are 2 chemistry projects, a lot less than in previous years. So i’m a bit concerned

Wait, now there 4 in chem, they’re definitely adding more projects, which is good!

Will admissions be released soon?

@caracal03 hopefully I’m still waiting

How do you know if you got in or not? Do they send an email or is there a portal? If there is a portal how can you access the portal?

“Admission offers emailed by 5PM PDT”

• SIP website

If anyone gets an email, please let us know

ohhh myyy 5pm 3 hours from now lets get it

Do they release it at 5pm sharp? Or is it throughout the day?

@awesomeharold just anytime before 5 could be any second now or 5:00 sharp

Last year they emailed the results exactly at 5:00 P.M.(PDT)

5 minutes!