UCSC SIP 2020

@scikit Ayy I got accepted into computational science too

computational media**

Returning SIP intern here!
I think important factors in getting admit are:
[NOT IN ANY PARTICULAR ORDER]

1. the subject u chose (i.e popular subjects like CS and EE are harder to get in)
  2. whether ur a returning intern or not (i.e returning interns are more likely to be accepted)
  3. feeder schools (i.e this one is a guess but if ur from a HS that is partnered with SIP, u might have a higher chance)
  4. essays (i.e good essays lol)

Congratulations to everyone.

I got into Astro as a student from Turkey. Is there any international student who also got accepted?

Can we switch topics, and see if we can get in with another topic? I think chem is super competitive.

Like my second choice was microbiology

hey @math mastermind, you can text me at +19564245080 if you want to talk about stats and my app (chem/biochem)

Did not get in, my stats are 1540 SAT, 750 SAT Bio, very good GPA 3.7 and 4.0 for science subjects. Probably my essays were not good

Any freshmen here, and what internship subjects did you choose?

Thank you! This was my first time applying. My project is the first 6 weeks on campus, then the last 2 remotely. The email from SIP said “Our contingency plan includes having the high school interns working remotely on research projects with their UCSC mentors.”
Stats cuz someone asked: 4.0 UW, 4.7 W, 36 ACT

1 Like

Anyone that got accepted to physics?

Hey @otomatikpivot, I am from Turkey too! Which school do you go to?

Does anyone know if we’re allowed to change the remote/on-campus schedule that we originally submitted in the application?

Stats:
GPA: 4.00
SAT: 1600
PSAT: 1490
Accepted

For everyone who got in (congrats) What prior research/college classes/etc did you guys have? (esp for chem/biochem but all answer appreciated)

got rejected too i have a 4.0, a lot of of cs experience: past internship + usaco. any tips/suggestions on places to improve and show a stronger application? sat and stuff wasn’t asked… so this is just the stuff i had on my application.

@caracal03 Robert College. Which school are you from?

GPA: 3.7 UW
I’m not too sure why people are asking for test scores since it wasn’t a question on the app

• First-time SIP intern from a partner public school Applied for:
  • Comp. Media
  • Physics
  • Astronomy & Astrophysics

Accepted into Comp. Media

EC’s:

• VP for my school’s MESA chapter
  • FIRST Robotics Member for Freshman year until I transferred schools sophomore year
  • Developer and front page editor for my school’s sports website

Classes:

• PLTW Engineering student for 2 years
  • Skipped straight to AP Comp Sci A b/c our school doesn’t have Principles, taking other AP’s that are not that relevant to my current research field but they can be seen on my transcript

As for the essays: I think I just made sure that my voice could be heard throughout the essay questions as much as possible, because that was what was most important to me

FYI, these are these are only a few of the things I referenced within my application for SIP, since there’s a limit to how much we can put; If anyone wants to know more about what I put on my application, feel free to dm me!

Hey y’all! Returning SIP Member here. In my opinion, I don’t think stats matter that much-- well personally for me. I didn’t do well in school but I definitely have roles in my community. I do a lot of community services as well as creating some of my own organizations. I know for a fact that letters of rec and essay matter a lot though. In my essay, I just wrote about how I got interested in whatever field I wanted and if accepted, how would that field impact me. Basically straight to the point. I was in Psych last year and I got accepted in Ecology this year. Hope to see everyone there!

Hey I’m from Turkey as well! Selected to Astro in Proving Dark Matter Evolution. Are we in the same course? (Niçin ingilizce yazdım bilmiyorum :p) - Galatasaray High School @otomatikpivot @caracal03