UCSC SIP 2020

In particular, was it in chem/biochem?

Nah I applied for Computer Science/Computer Engineering and Physics

@starrytea Ok I think I’ll play it safe and not respond!! Esp bc on their website under FAQs they tell applicants not to send anything other than exactly what is required so I feel like that’s probably extended to not wanting waitlisted kids to email back with additional requests/information/anything at all LOL

Does anyone know if SIP has an order of preference to their waiting list? Or is it kinda just random…

Is housing at UCSC worth it? Or is it better to just commute?

Looking at the situation rn, its probably best to assume its gonna be online.

@spark23 !! What project?

@hellohello12345 I did SIP last year and in my opinion, I would saw it’s worth it! Being able to dorm made me a lot closer with the people there. Everyone is nice and we did a lot of bonding activities so don’t worry about being excluded or anything!

COSMOS was canceled 2 days ago (not even online), I would highly doubt SIP would happen. It said UC’s are not going to host any programs regardless (they are also emergency sites to house patients if needed). They mentioned that the campuses will be closed. Most research work for the projects SIP entails wont be able to be moved online. Almost everything is closed, I am hoping schools/colleges open in fall. Good luck to everyone! Its just a very unfortunate situation for everyone.

Well, some projects can be done remotely, but most cannot :(.

So if you are in a remote project, don’t lose hope!

Remote projects are updated on their website: http://ucsc-sip.org/2020-research-projects/

I believe everyone was granted a remote option (my sister’s going through this rn)

@daunt18 Did your sister receive an email from SIP?

Yes.

They just sent another one:
“As you know, the SIP team has been closely monitoring all developments related to the COVID-19 situation over the last several weeks, with the well-being of all those affiliated with our program taking top priority among our concerns. In accordance with instructions issued by the UC Santa Cruz campus leadership, the Science Internship Program (SIP) will be conducting a fully remote/online program for Summer 2020. This will include an online 2020 program kick-off (Sunday, June 21), research project work by the interns and mentors (mid June to mid August), and Presentation Day (Saturday, August 15).”
Fees remain the same.

Just received the email.

when do waitlist decisions come out?

Did you get off the waitlist?

I emailed them about the waitlist, they sent me this:

"We have not made any decisions regarding moving students off of the waitlist at this time. This message was meant to let all potential participants in the 2020 summer program know what changes to expect if they do end up attending.

Please note that the potential for internship positions to become available is dependent on several factors that are difficult to constrain to a schedule. That much is true of our program every year, but even more so this year as it still remains to be seen how these COVID-19 related changes will affect our numbers. We hope to begin moving students from the waitlist within the next two weeks, but we cannot guarantee a specific date by which any given applicant will be notified. As such, we encourage you to pursue other opportunities for summer research if you find yourself pressed into a deadline-based decision."