UCSC vs. UCD [Comp E]

<p>Hey,</p>

<p>I’m a computer engineering major and I only got into my 2nd tier choices and now I’m having a hard time making a decision between UCSC and USD.</p>

<p>I’ve accepted into both their engineering schools in similar computer engineering majors. From what I’ve seen UCD has way more funding and a much more expansive engineering department, but I have no idea about it’s computer engineering department (I wasn’t able to tour any of the EE/CS facilities or talk to any of the professors when I went up there). I know several UCSC PhDs that went through the computer science curriculum, and they say it is pretty good and I’m planning on checking out their facility some time next week.</p>

<p>Right now I have reasons for going to both. UCD is a better ranked school, so a degree from there may look better when I apply to graduate programs. UCSC is a 10 minute drive from my house, so I wouldn’t have to move and I wouldn’t have to lease a dorm or apartment which would cut my expenses in half.</p>

<p>I’m not looking to get a job from my BS, I want to do graduate school at one of the better UCs (UCLA, UCB) because I want to go into research. I also want to try to double major in Physics and I don’t know how UCSC and UCD compare for that. Anyways, if anyone has any experience at either school, any insight would be great.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>shouldn’t this decision have been made about two weeks ago…???</p>

<p>No, I have until June 1, and UCD only just had their transfer day event.</p>

<p>I hear UCSC is good for physics. Plus isn’t it near Silicon Valley, so more internships.</p>