UCSC vs. UCSB

<p>I’m currently undeclared but leaning towards Biological Sciences including what UCSB calls Bio-Psychology and what UCSC calls Neuroscience and Behavior. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>UCSB by far....SB has better weather, a better campus, better academics, better athletics, better social life, and it's in socal which is way better than norcal.</p>

<p>Sorry, UCSB is not SoCaL -- it's in the Central Coast and yes, there is a difference (just ask the locals).</p>

<p><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0762728108/103-7492863-2970256?v=glance&n=283155%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0762728108/103-7492863-2970256?v=glance&n=283155&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Um... while Santa Barbara is also called the Central Coast, it is definately considered a part of SoCal.</p>

<p>Trust me, I lived there for 18 years (grew up there).</p>

<p>But while we're at it, I prefer the Bay Area, heh.</p>

<p>Santa Barbara is SoCal.</p>

<p>Santa Barbara is not SoCal. I lived there for 11 years and never once did ANYONE think they were living in SoCal. It is the Central Coast. California has 12 geographical regions<br>
<a href="http://www.beachcalifornia.com/california-regions.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.beachcalifornia.com/california-regions.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Now perhaps the "style of life" is more like Socal than Norcal -- but I am speaking geographically.</p>

<p>I still consider it SoCal...San Luis and Pismo Beach are Central Coast. Get It!</p>

<p>Right-o, SoCal or not, any other advice?</p>

<p>ucsc is by far norcal! there is fog, stoners, hippies, and it RARELY gets above 70 degrees.</p>

<p>while ucsb may not be considered "socal" it is definetely A LOT MORE socal than santa cruz.</p>

<p>trust me...i've lived in norcal my whole life...and quite frankly it gets old!</p>

<p>If you are in N. California, and want to be away from your parents, go to UCSB. I wouldn't want to be forced to go home every weekends in college because the college I go to is close to my parent's house.</p>

<p>OK. Location aside, how to these two compare given those respective Major/Departments?</p>

<p>SB is not so-cal, coming from San Diego I can't simply hop upto SB...it'll take me 5-6 hours, that's a trip. Long Beach however is So-Cal.</p>

<p>btw, Santa Cruz has a way nicer campus for me. If the competition was ever between which UC was the prettiest Santa Cruz would most likely win in everyones minds, most people I talk to just love the atmosphere.</p>

<p>I don't know how fast you drive but I'm from Laguna Hills and it takes me exactly 3 hours to get home and it's another hour to SD from LG. But SB is part of Central Coast as what I always here on the news and I took an upper div class Geography:California.</p>

<p>I am trying to chose between UCSB and UCSC as well, I will be pre-med (SC=Neuroscience and SB=bio chem). I live in San Diego now and have visited both schools...I still can't decide</p>

<p>I just want to know the benefits and negatives to each school</p>

<p>I am aware of the weather differences, I want to know more about the schools. Whats cool about them and whats not so good.
If someone could help me out, that would be great</p>

<p>I'm in the same situation as you. I'm deciding between UCSB and UCSC, and my major will be either biology or biopsychology/neuroscience, and I will most likely minor in theater.</p>

<p>I need more info about both of them, mostly about social aspects since I know a lot about the academics. I'm looking for stuff that they don't put in the brochures.</p>

<p>For example, are the stereotypes true? I hear a lot about the weed scene at UCSC, and although I kind of have the alternative-hippie mentality, I don't smoke and I don't want to. And UCSB has a reputation of being preppy and spoiled, which I am definitely not. </p>

<p>Help!</p>

<p>I just found out that I got some incredible package at Santa Clara also...But I’m not too sure about their pre-med program.
So UCSB UCSC or Santa Clara...??</p>

<p>Oh and Joey Potter, UCSC, I know a lot of people that went there and the smoking scene is pretty big, but its college, so I'm sure there will be people who don’t smoke and still have the same ideals as you. SB-I'm having the same problem. I do have a more hippy mentality as well (and smoke on occasion) but I really cannot be around spoiled preppy kids more than I already am (catholic high school...). One positive to UCSB is that everyone is supposedly really nice, bubbly, and friendly. I can guarantee any of this from direct personal experience, but I know many people who went to both schools
I dont know if that helps any, but thats my understanding</p>