***UCSD 2019 FRESHMAN WAITLIST*** Information, Stats and Discussion

In anticipation of the UCSD decisions, below is waitlist information from 2017. 2018 and 2016 data is not available.

of applicants waitlisted: 9,465

of applicants accepting waitlist: 5,998

of applicants admitted off the waitlist: 967

Does anyone have input on the UCSD waitlisted results? when will we find out the waitlist results?

@collegematters, usually the waitlist results will be posted after the SIR date of May 1.

@Gumbymom, you are very fluent with the stats re: UC Admission. Would you say that last year’s waitlist chance (for all UC) is very low but for 2017 it’s around 10% ?
Thanks again for all the informative posts !!

UCSD has no waitlist data from 2018 but based on the CC postings, not many waitlist acceptances last year. I cannot tell you the %. The # admitted off the waitlist all depends upon the yield after May 1.

Let’s say you get accepted through the waitlist. Will you still be offered your major, or is it automatically undecided?

@SrijanFromSD: Depends upon how many spots they have available. With the capped majors, usually it is your 2nd choice major or undeclared.

thank you

@Gumbymom in your opinion, what is the best path to UCSD via community college? i have read the san diego mesa community college honors program is interesting and many classes taught by SDSU and UCSD faculty. Just wondering if you have insight. thank you

@peppermint31: For UCSD transfer, it does not matter which CC you attend as long as you are able to get all the major course requirements needed to complete your transfer. You can compare CC’s and their course offerings by using assist.org which will list your transfer courses.

Be aware that UCSD is one of the UCs that does not have a TAG program.

Also for reference, the UC’s publish the UC Transfer GPA admit ranges for each UC campus and major so it will give you an idea of where you stand before transferring and which schools to target. If you plan to apply to San Diego state, they have preference for local transfers from SD CC’s so that should be a consideration. Here is the UC Transfer GPA link and it is updated each year in February.

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/transfers-major

If you are waitlisted at any school, you need to enroll in another school until you hear which will probably after the May 1 SIR date. If you do not enroll at SDSU by May 1 and are not accepted at UCSD, then you have no options left. No way to get around the enrollment deposit unless you prefer taking a Gap year or attend a CC if UCSD does not come through. Consider a waitlist as a rejection since they have not been taking many applicants off the waitlist these past few years.

but if I do get into UCSD does my deposit at SDSU get refunded back to me since I will not be attending there?

No the enrollment deposit is not refunded unfortunately. The joys of being waitlisted.

If I pay the intent to enroll deposit for SDSU and get rejected from UCSD at the end of June will SDSU still accept me

@Gumbymom thank you. my D was accepted to SDSU OOS and was waiting on UCSD but not accepted and trying to explore all avenues. thank you

Anybody have any ideas or past experinces to share?

regarding this

@nerdgirl1234 as long as you SIR to SDSU before the deadline (usually May 1) and as you don’t withdraw from SDSU after that, you will be fine. SDSU will not reject you. You don’t have to tell them your plan either.

If you’re perfectly willing to go to SDSU, I would definitely SIR to them and pay the $400 before May 1. Then wait for UCSD. There really isn’t a way around paying the $400, other than to not SIR to SDSU. But as explained above you would be taking a huge leap of faith over waiting on clearing a waitlist that very well might not happen.