UCSD Class of 2026 Waitlist/Appeal Discussion

My D22 was accepted to UCD and UCI, but was waitlisted at UCSD. I just looked at her responses to applicant survey from UCSD which was sent in Jan, and she really didn’t show much interest for UCSD. I am wondering if that was the cause for waitlist.

Does anybody know how waitlist admits are selected?

Do they just see if they’re lacking spots in a certain major, and then pick randomly out of the people that were waitlisted to that major?

UC’s do not consider an applicants level of interest so no it would not be a reason for a waitlist.

Agree
My daughter was accepted and did not respond to the survey

1 Like

UC’s do not disclose how they admit off the waitlist, but it will be based on their institutional priorities.

1 Like

I posted this last year and although it was originally posted on the Georgia Tech Blog site, message is universal.

4 Likes

I got a supplemental from ucsd back in January I submitted it and showed great progress in my senior year, excellent grades, and more activities. Will the supplemental I sent back in January increase my chances or no since that was used for the admission process prior to the waitlist?

The supplemental will be re-evaluated as your whole UC application before they make their waitlist admits. Yes, it could help your chances. Perhaps you were in the denial pile and your supplemental helped you get onto the waitlist, so it could be a positive sign in your favor.

Would it be okay to call admissions and ask them if there is anything I should do or expect or it doesn’t matter since they don’t take LOCI?

There is nothing you can do at this point. They do not accept LOCI’s. Did you read this?

Yes, I was thinking I can call them about questions I had regarding the waitlist.

You can call with specific questions. If they provide useful information, it would be appreciated if you can update here. Thank you.

1 Like

Unlike some private colleges, UC does not rank waitlisted students nor take their ability to pay into account when offering them admission. Officials say their selections are generally a continuation of the regular admission process, with consideration given to students’ original scores from application readers and whether their intended areas of study fill enrollment holes that year.

will decisions possibly be released in waves, also will the wield be going up or is it hard to tell.

Last year since there only a few waitlist admits, it was more a trickle. Waitlist admits have typically waves since you are given 5-7 days to accept and then the process starts again if the spots are not filled.

1 Like

Is it possible to get your first or second major off the waitlist if you do engineering?

I would say it depends upon which Engineering majors but rare.

what if it was bioengineering first major, second major bioengineering:biotechnology

will the yield rate be higher this year?

When applying to a capped major such as Bioengineering, UCSD states on their website not to select another capped major. Most likely, if admitted off the waitlist, it will be Undeclared.

It has been a really tough year and I am leaning towards a normal to slightly higher yield this year than last. Hopefully I am wrong so many of the very qualified waitlisted students will have a better chance.

2 Likes