UCSD Letter Arrived Today

<p>My son’s 3rd ELC related letter arrived today. This one is from UCSD, but is not a guarantee of admission, only a request or encouragement that he apply. </p>

<p>Here’s the recap: </p>

<p>The first one was a letter, from UCD, and stated they would guarantee him acceptance to the school for Fall 2011 and to the “major of his choice” as long as “a-g coursework and exams, maintain academic performance, and submit application by November 30”.</p>

<p>The second mailing was a postcard, from UCSB and stated they guaranteed admission to their school for Fall 2011 and that a specific major cannot be guaranteed but “your choices would be given every consideration”. </p>

<p>My wife just assumed our son got another guaranteed offer, this time from UCSD. That is not the case. I wouldn’t go as far to say it’s misleading, but you do have to read the letter rather carefully.</p>

<p>^^^ Yes, that is true. I remember my son getting that letter last year. UCSD admissions is based on a point system. Your son will get 300 points for being designated ELC so it does help, but admission is not guaranteed. Congratulations though. Being ELC is a very good thing! :-)</p>

<p>Thank you for the clarification!</p>

<p>Thanks for postig jshain! My son’s envelope (and one from UC Irvine) is sitting there waiting for him to get home from school. I really wanted to open it (since I didn’t think UCSD had guaranteed admit for ELC students) but resisted because I know he wants to open them. I knew I would find the answer as to what was in the envelope on CC!</p>

<p>The UCSD letter is creating quite a bit of confusion for some students. I wish the letter was more straightforward!</p>