UCSD v UCSB for Physics/Engineering/Undecided and experience

So like many other threads here I’m trying to choose between UCSD and UCSB.

I’ve gotten into both undeclared and am planning in majoring in Physics, or engineering if I can somehow switch into the program, although from what I’ve heard is that its difficult at both schools. I was originally interested in bio and medicine, but that changed after I started taking AP Physics. It could change again, though.

UCSB seems to have a better physics program, but I’ve heard its difficult to change your major there, and of the two it seems to have a worse rep, though I’m unsure how much of an affect that has. I can keep my priorities straight when having to choose between work and fun, so I don’t think parties will be a distraction when I have things to do.

UCSD seems to be the more prestigious of the two that’s strong all around in the sciences, but the impression I’ve gotten from people who’ve talked about it is that its socially dead. Its also ranked lower in physics from what I’ve read, but I don’t know if this will affect the opportunities I’ll find in this field or not.

I’m visiting both in the first half of April, and I’m wondering what I should look for? How do they really measure up as far as what I’m interested in, and is UCSD really that dead? Anything unique about either college or clarifying info that might give me a better idea about what its like at the schools would be much appreciated!