UCSD vs. UCD

<p>Assuming that I’ve gotten into both of these schools, which one should I end up in?
Now, academically SD is a bit better than Davis but from posts around CC and just talking to people, it seems as though there are a lot more activities and school spirit at Davis. </p>

<p>What are the pros and cons of each? And where would you go if you had to choose?</p>

<p>From what I've heard from attendees, UCD people are generally happier than UCSD people. But that's just what I've heard.</p>

<p>College is what you make out of it. If you feel that some spirit at one school is going to make it better than another, then go for it. You could be going to Berkeley and be miserable there, and conversely be at Riverside and excel and have a great 4 years. People at UCD can be total introverts (I have a couple of those friends as examples) and people at UCSD can totally be social and active (again, more than a handful of examples). I would choose UCSD because I prefer SoCal weather, but a Davis experience is something that in retrospect might've been interesting (living in NorCal at least).</p>

<p>I too would choose SD cuz I'm a socal boys. Below are list of things I about the two schools.</p>

<p>UCSD:
- Uglier girls. this is true, sorry.
- I don't find the people there to be antisocial. Most of the people I met there are normal kids. I'm sure if you want to find party scene or whatever, you'd be able to.
- The weather is really nice there
- The students don't have much school pride.</p>

<p>Davis:
- The three people I know who go there are extremely proud of their school, perhaps to a point where it gets a bit annoying. I don't know them very well, but they seem kinda cocky and unrightfully so. Three people is an extreme small sample though as I'm sure there are plenty of nice people who go to Davis.</p>

<p>I've heard a lot more positive things about UCSD than UCD.</p>

<p>Such as..? Because I've heard the opposite.</p>

<p>Well are you from Norcal or Socal?</p>

<p>UCD. It's like ranked three spots lower in the USNWR, and is accordingly slightly less prestigious, but you'll enjoy your time there. I know a bunch of Davis students and they're all having the time of their lives.</p>

<p>I'm from NorCal but I do like SoCal weather more, if that helps.
When I went to SD in the summer, there was no sun so I was kindof disappointed.</p>

<p>^ Yeah, same. Haha Bartleby. I actually enjoyed that story, somewhat. Analyzing everything, on the other hand, was so boring -_-</p>

<p>Some differences I found:</p>

<p>UCD:
- Majors offered here but not at UCSD are: Animal Biology/Science, and various Agricultural majors.
-The city is smaller than San Diego, but appears to be a homely college town.
-Located in Northern California. </p>

<p>UCSD:
-Based off what I see, it appears to have more engineering majors than Davis does (you would want to double check this of course).
-The city of San Diego is urban and has a lot of recreational activities available. The weather is notoriously gorgeous. The beach is obviously a large part of the city as well.
-Located at the very bottom of California (borders Mexico). </p>

<p>Anyhoo, these are just some things you might want to compare before you decide on either school. You should decide what you want out of each school and which school will best provide that for you. For example, if want a school with a sports program, then you can look and see that Davis is new to Division 1 while San Diego plays Division 2. But, for your own sake, do not decide to attend a school based off of a magazine's rankings or what your friend's mother's cousin's step-sister says about the school.</p>

<p>Let's not forget how awesome Davis is for biking. Maneuvering through bike circles (which only us Aggies understand), encountering bike traffic jams, and heading out with your friends downtown as a bike gang are some tidbits of what you'd experience at UCD. Seriously, a bike is basically a car here =).</p>

<p>I love that we're D-1(Division 1). Our sports teams are not the greatest however, but for every home game, there's always free stuff.. and it's really fun to attend a game and forget about any assignments 'til afterwards.</p>

<p>I always hear that UCSD is "anti-social' but I also agree with the posters above that college is what you make of it. All my friends at UCSD seem to enjoy their stay there. All my friends at UCD love it here, too. Well, actually one of them thinks it's really boring here because she's the party type and I have to say... the weekends can get a bit dull at Davis. There's always a party, but you have to find your way to it.</p>

<p>I think you'll be happy with whichever college you choose. I, for one am SO happy that I chose Davis.. I found great friends, I got to go to a D1 school, it's not too close nor too far from home (San Francisco), and concerning next year...RENT IS SO MUCH CHEAPER HERE!!! Haha =)</p>

<p>I suggest taking a tour of both schools (preferably when they're in session) to feel the vibe of the campuses. Props to you for thinking about where to matriculate beforehand, though. I cannot tell you how many of my friends waited until the last minute to decide where they wanted to go.</p>

<p>^"RENT IS SO MUCH CHEAPER HERE!!!"
That is true compared to living in La Jolla (for UCSD). I guess being in a rich neighborhood really doesn't help.</p>

<p>The party scene in Davis is alive and well, it's just that parties are not the only activity available to UCD students. My daughter attends and she feels the balance of so many great things to do makes Davis a really fun and unique place. Sports, both participation in and attending games (26 D1 NCAA teams, clubs, and an enormous intramural program) are a huge part of student life. (UCSD is D2 and doesn't have football) The students seem to really enjoy the exuberant Aggie spirit and all of the free stuff given away at games and activities by the Aggie Pack. Bikes abound and everything in Davis is centered around the college which makes for a great environment. There are constant dorm activities, a lively frat row, free movies, concerts, several art galleries, the Mondavi Center, the downtown market, outdoor adventure, river rafting and waterskiing, ski trips to Tahoe, excursions to Sacramento and San Francisco, spring houseboating on Lake Shasta, and such. I agree about the rent too, it is worlds cheaper! Another great aspect of UCD is the free tutoring and fabulous internship program they offer. The internship program is one of the largest in the country and there are some tremendous opportunities for students who seek them. The students I have met are all very happy, learning, growing, exploring, and having a wonderful, full college experience at UCD.</p>

<p>As for the size of the engineering programs at both, this is directly from UCD's web site:
Big in engineering: UC Davis has the largest engineering undergraduate student population in the UC system, offering the most accredited majors. </p>

<p>UC</a> Davis News & Information :: UC Davis Facts: UC Davis distinctions</p>

<p>Thank you everyone. I'm pretty confident in where I want to go now.
Time to convince my parents? Haha.</p>

<p>I wish you the best of luck Pengsta. :)</p>

<p>I have some friends and UCD and UCSD. Just as anecdotal information, my UCD friends seem happier. In terms of academics, I think UCSD is ranked 39 and UCD is 42, so prestige between the two is nothing to worry about. I think both are probably top ~10 publics in the US over the years. Perhaps you should visit the campuses...? I visited both in my high school years. In terms of location, UCSD is in SoCal and UCD is in NorCal (near the capital in Sacramento).</p>

<p>
[quote]
In terms of academics, I think UCSD is ranked 39 and UCD is 42, so prestige between the two is nothing to worry about.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Looking at this year's ranking is misleading. This year UCSD is ranked 39th and UCD is 42nd. It is however not the case historically. You should look at rankings over a longer span, say, five years, instead of just one. Rankings fluctuate a lot, a couple years ago UCD was ranked high 40's and UCSD was in the mid-low 30's. Although ranking isn't everything, I think there is a clear distinction between the two as far as academics is concerned.</p>

<p>Sorry, worriedsenior, didn't mean to damage any UCSD pride. I meant UCSD will always be ranked higher than UCD, always and forever.</p>

<p>
[Quote]
I meant UCSD will always be ranked higher than UCD, always and forever.

[/Quote]
</p>

<p>Are you sure you want to say that?</p>