UCSD Vs. UCD

<p>Might I add, that a lot of engineering companies love recruiting from UCSD.</p>

<p>A lot of engineering companies love recruiting from UCD.</p>

<p>Are these engineering companies only local? Or are they like big big companies? =)</p>

<p>UCSD holds and annual engineering carreer fair(DECaF), where many engineering companies come to seek students to recruit for various internships or full time positions. Among the companies that attend are really big, such as Apple, Microsoft, Cisco, Airforce, Navy, and tons more.
Visit this site to know more: DECaF</a> | 2008 Registrants</p>

<p>what about for ucd?</p>

<p>UC Davis has one of the largest internship programs in the country. They too have engineering fairs and there are all kinds of companies who recruit there for both internships and jobs. Among some of the companies who regularly recruit at UCD are Cisco, Ebay, Aerojet, Compaq, Dell, HP, IBM, Lockheed Martin Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, NASA Ames Research Center, The Boeing Company, Lawrence Berkeley National Labs, and the US Navy. These are but only a handful. See the list:
UC</a> Davis: Internship and Career Center</p>

<p>I attended a seminar at UC Davis about internships the other day. It's amazing. Not only those companies were mentioned, but a lot more as well!</p>

<p>Except for UCB and UCLA, you can pretty much group all the other UC's together. There is very little difference in terms of prestige. You should really check out each campus and get a feel for the school. UCSD is in a great location and it's a great school but it is seriously lacking in overall school pride. If you want a typical college experience, you might want to choose UCD. UCSD is almost like a commuter university. People go there, do what they have to do, and then go home.</p>

<p>fijeeboi, was that from a UCSD student's standpoint, because if that is the case, I would really have to reconsider my decision.</p>

<p>eric: I hope I didn't mislead anyone....... I am not a UCSD student. I did however live in SD for many years. I had friends that went to UCSD and have been on the campus a few times. It's a great school, well respected and my friends liked it. It's just missing that school camaraderie. SDSU students seem to have much more pride in their school than UCSD students. That being said, you can't beat San Diego. I'm not sure where you're from but San Diego is a wonderful place and many people would kill to go to school there.
You just have to visit the campuses you are interested in and get a feel for it yourself.</p>

<p>My friend feels the same way about UCSD. There is no school pride, largely in part because they lack a good amount of DI sports (they do have some). I asked him, "Do you watch any of UCSD's games?" He replied, "DIII? HELL NO!" </p>

<p>He also laments the way their food system works at UCSD. You order your food and pay for what you order instead of a dining hall/commons where it's all you can eat. He's always telling me that he doesn't have the luxury to order a lot of food and not eat it. DC food may get tiring, but it makes me feel grateful for being able to eat as much as I want and grab a fruit to eat in my room (at UCSD, it's 79 cents for a banana!).</p>

<p>That said, his experience definitely does not reflect on everyone elses. I see from this thread that you're pretty much going to wind up in a stalemate in terms of academic superiority. Good luck on your decision, both schools are awesome.. but because I'm a proud Aggie, I'd say Davis is SO much more fun than UCSD =P. I mean, c'mon.. free Aggie pack t-shirt to wear during games = a wave of blue Aggie fans during football and basketball season =D</p>

<p>I've heard the same about UCSD. Some describe it as lacking pride, and a sort of "disconnected" campus.</p>

<p>I like school pride. =)</p>

<p>If that's the case, I think you'll be happier at UC Davis. :)</p>

<p>forget the prestige...
they'll both give you a good education and will look great on job apps, so go wherever you think you'll be happier. isn't that more important?</p>

<p>I go to UCSD, and i lived right next to Davis for 18 years...most of my hs friends go to Davis, but for me it was like my highschool but bigger, i felt suffocated there..i was oppisite in the fact that UCSD fit me so much better than Davis which was always around me..its a bit too small town</p>

<p>also, ucsd's bioengineering program is "the Department of Bioengineering once again ranked 2nd in the nation for biomedical engineering. The department has ranked among the top five programs in the nation every year for the past decade, and is considered an international model for biomedical engineering education"..since that was my major ucsd was an obvious choice, even though davis was going to give me a full ride</p>

<p>in terms of school pride, people at ucsd are happy/proud they go here, but there arent any major sports events so theres no athletic spirit...davis youre the aggies so theres more going on there...and living in norcal, at least the people i was around, give more credit to ucsd than davis</p>

<p>i also think the sd campus is prettier/better than davis, i love the 6 college system, and how each area of campus has its own 'feel'...davis is bike city and yea it has green grass and trees....but, i just love breezy, sunny sd..you can walk anywhere on campus in a relatively short time..and if you did have a bike you can ride it anywhere...you dont need a car in sd, and its better if you dont</p>

<p>i would make your decisions based on how the campus feels to you..where you feel like youll be happy...and how good of a program the college has for your major...but mostly id say visit on a typical college day..see how the campus runs and look into a few lecture halls/dining halls/dorms etc and see how you feel about the campus</p>

<p>how did davis' picnic day go for you? id just say that those admit days usually give you a slanted view of the colleges though</p>

<p>We just visited Davis and are wondering if we just had a bad day or if our impressions were correct.</p>

<p>1st we sat in on 2 classes, chemistry & anthropology, the pace of both classes moved very slow and were not very impressive. We found the orientation to be a bit disappointing. Most of the people were not very friendly and the people we talked to did not seem thrilled to be there or exceptionally bright. </p>

<p>Our experience at SD was a bit different. We had the feeling the academics and students were a higher caliber. People were very friendly and were happy to be there. I have heard people say there is not enough to do at SD and people have no social life.</p>

<p>hat do you think?</p>

<p>"We just visited Davis and are wondering if we just had a bad day or if our impressions were correct."</p>

<p>Sometimes, schools just don't live up to the descriptions in their brochures.</p>

<p>"1st we sat in on 2 classes, chemistry & anthropology, the pace of both classes moved very slow and were not very impressive. We found the orientation to be a bit disappointing. Most of the people were not very friendly and the people we talked to did not seem thrilled to be there or exceptionally bright."</p>

<p>LOL</p>

<p>

Obviously a troll. Joined this month and first and only post in this topic. Not to mention it's pretty obvious this person has never been to either school.</p>

<p>For those trying to make this decision -- do not pay attention to that post.</p>

<p>In fact, I found the exact opposite when I visited UCD. Great professors, and people were as friendly as can be, especially the tour guides and speakers. Overall a great experience. My visit to UCSD didn't really show anything I didn't already know. I plan to attend UCD.</p>

<p>"Obviously a troll. Joined this month and first and only post in this topic. Not to mention it's pretty obvious this person has never been to either school."</p>

<p>just becuase they didnt see the school the same way you did doesnt mean they havent visited either schools..my view of ucd is the same, but thats because i lived next to it for 18 years..they were just giving their opinion</p>