UCSD vs. UCI

<p>Which school is better for Biology? I want to become a doctor (physician or surgeon). I got accepted into Revelle at UCSD. Help me choose please and give me some reasons and for everyone else. Thanks!</p>

<p>UCSD...research opportunities...they feed you research opportunities there</p>

<p>No contest, UCSD.</p>

<p>i have a bunch of friends going to UCI but I heard UCSD is a really good school. any information anyone can give me about each school. Thanks.</p>

<p>I am not in the honors program at UCSD or UCI, but if doing some form of research at UCSD is available that sounds good.</p>

<p>sd for sure</p>

<p>Both are very good, with UCSD being a little bit harder to get into. There are lot's of research opportunities at UCI too. You should visit them both and whichever one you end up liking best after visiting, you should go to.</p>

<p>yeah but I think UCSD probably allows student to do or be part of some form of research more easily than UCI.</p>

<p>i prefer ucsd cuz its real preety and it's right by the beach</p>

<p>I don't know about UCSD research but at UCI they strongly encourage undergrads to get involved with research, especially for bio. So maybe UCSD is better, idunno personally, but I do know that UCI is really good at getting undergrads involved in research. I know some of my bio friends at UCI (some of them freshmen even) are already doing research and working in labs.</p>

<p>go to ucsd , its a better school for bio or science</p>

<p>UCSD's got a nationally-recognized medical school (see USnews. So, I believe going to UCSD can get you a great internship experience. Besides, most profs at UCSD are conducting researches and ready to welcome you to their labs.</p>

<p>Don't pick a school based on acadmeics - at least don't let it dominate your planning.</p>

<p>if i want to screw you over i would recommend UCI over UCSD. HA.</p>

<p>uhh ok...............</p>

<p>hm i heard UCSD is better for bio. but like everyone said... both UCI and UCSD have a lot of research opportunities...and go visit both to get a feel of them if you haven't already =)</p>

<p>i hope you don't mind me adding my own questions related to UCI vs UCSD in your thread. if you do mind, just tell me and i'll delete my message =)</p>

<p>how is the psych program @ UCI compared to the one @ UCSD? also, how popular are they @ these schools (basically, how hard is it to change into a psych major @ UCI and UCSD? i'm undeclared for both schools right now)? thank you!!</p>

<p>I got my first B.S. (biochemistry) at uci my second (biochemistry) at ucsd. Let me tell you there is a reason I have returned to ucsd for my M.S. (microbiology). I would not reccomend uci to you for any reason. ucsd is a better school in a better area with MUCH better research oppertunities, little known fact: ucsd has 2 times as many students involved in their research programs and 3 times as many undergrads in research positions. Plus come on would anyone rather live in irvine than san diego? Not me thats for sure, no more orange county drivers, expensive EVERYTHING, or half-assed uci facilities. You made the right choice, GO TRITONS!!!!!</p>

<p>I believe psych is pretty good at UCI. I know that Irvine has Elizabeth Loftus as a professor (she was voted most influential female psychologist of the 20 century I believe, or something like that). I remember reading about her in psychology class in high school and then realized shes a prof at UCI. UCI has 2 psych majors, one is in the school of social ecology and ones in social sciences I believe, they each have a little bit different focus. I don't know anything about ucsd psychology but I'm sure it's pretty good.</p>

<p>la jolla isnt all that kind to students wallets either</p>

<p>Ah it may be true taht UCI is a good school, certainly top 15 for California, I was comparing it to UCSD as a biology school specifically and overall student research specifically. This is not to say that UCI does not have any redeeming qualities, for example; the uci computer engineering program is considered top notch in the U.S. Also UCI's athletics are certainly better. However these, and other unmentioned, points did not seem valid to this particular discussion. Oh by the way, La Jolla is only expensive if you live off campus or don't know where to look. In La Jolla gas, food, clothes, entertainment, and even books tend to be considerably cheaper, if sometimes a little lower qulity, if you do know where to look. Irvine however is under some massive conspiracy to remain uniformly expensive along with surrounding areas. This excludes Santa Anna however I don't suggest you spend a considerable amount of time their.</p>