UCSD vs UCSB vs UIUC for Data Science

My D23 was accepted to UCSD for Data Science, UCSB for Pre-Statistics + Data Science and University of Illinois (UIUC) for Information Science + Data Science (in state). She is drawn to the sun, surf and overall lifestyle of Southern California. I’m looking for insight into the academic major/programs at each of these schools as well as the overall happiness/vibe/culture at each school. Any thoughts are appreciated. We’ve previously visited each school and intend to attend the admitted students days in April. Thank you.

Does net price and (if any) debt differ or matter?

1 Like

It is certainly a consideration, willing to support her decision if we are convinced of the ROI. She was WL at UCLA, still waiting on UCB.

What are the final costs of each?

1 Like

Just put a reality check into this. How much does she want to see sun and surf?

Here in San Diego County, we’ve had three months of unprecedented cold and rain. She won’t be seeing the sun much, if we get another season of global-warming cold rain.

As long as your daughter doesn’t want to enter the surf, she should be fine. We went once but, I haven’t been to walk the beach, in the past three months, and this has been a change from our weekly visits.

The erosion at the cliffs just below the UCSD, has been really bad. The water temps are in the 60s most of the year.

UCSB is very similar. It actually gets warmer in the summer when she’ll be home.

Don’t forget to remind her that those UC’s are on a quarter system. She’ll have 10 weeks to prove herself in her courses with all of that “sun and surf”. Normally, it takes a while for the fog to burn off at the coast. UCSD is very “competitive” and, unless she’s already on a quarter system, at her high school, it’ll take some adjustment her first year. Just some things to think about.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.