UCSD vs UCSB

Up until a few days ago I was ready to submit my SIR to UCSD however I was recently offered the Promise Scholarship at UCSB (minimum of $120,000 in grants over the course of four years in addition to covering the Freshman Summer Start http://www.finaid.ucsb.edu/promise-scholars-program) and now I’m back at square one.

Additional Information: UCSD has yet to inform me about any scholarships (I believe they’re giving financial aid awards starting March 30). In terms of location UCSD is closer (1 hour away) and UCSB is 3 1/2 hours away. Also my major will be Biology for both schools (UCSD has a better reputation).

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

That scholarship gives you a lot of money and benefits. I’d agree that UCSD might be better, but it’s not $120,000 better.

Concur with @DoctorP. Follow the money. Both schools will give you an excellent education.

FSSP is a great program at UCSB - definitely put that in the plus column. It’s a great way to boost your chance of success in college. If you’re located on the coast, the ease of taking Amtrak makes the travel to UCSB not a big deal. That said, see what financial aid you get from UCSD. If it ends up being similar cost just go with which one you like best. Tons of biotech located around UCSD, so that should be good for a biology major.