UCSD vs. UCSB

<p>Santa Barbara vs. San Diego</p>

<p>I know that UCSD has a slightly better reputation, but what about people who want to focus on academics, but also party from time to time?? Also, I want to go into Business Economics so what would be better for that??</p>

<p>Overall, which is better?</p>

<p>UCSB is consistently ranked one of the craziest party schools in the nation. On the other hand, UCSD is quite dead socially, with the students being more studious than anything else. I spent a night there, and RSO's (security people) walked by multiple times during the night and from talking to current students, they are quite strict. I had a friend handcuffed and sent downtown to a "detox" room for drinking. Most other schools wouldn't care. Also, the surrounding city (La Jolla) has a resolution banning frat houses, so there is no "fraternity row" like there would be at other colleges.</p>

<p>All that said, UCSD has a significantly better reputation academically, including Biz-Econ.</p>

<p>they don't have business econ as a major at ucsd do they?</p>

<p>either way, i'd go to ucsd since it has a better rep.</p>

<p>the difference between UCSD and UCSB as far as prestige goes is little. i doubt if many would know that ucsd is ranked a few places above sb. go with whichever you like.</p>

<p>dude read this:
<a href="http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/education/20050605-9999-1m5tutor.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/education/20050605-9999-1m5tutor.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I'd consider SB over SD for econ. Also look into UCD for managerial econ. I go to UCD and I love it here. It is a great school.</p>

<p>I'm going to have to disagree with Voiceofreason, as the vast majority of rankings put UCSD ahead of SB in economics.</p>

<p>However, I don't know that it really matters. For an undergrad, the difference is probably minimal.</p>

<p>Ari dude,
Read the OP's post. He did not ask about rankings. He was inquiring about quality of life. Rankings are for graduate schools only anyhow, so who cares. The OP wants a good experience and judging from the link I posted (did you read it?) UCSD is not a good experience for econ undergrads.</p>

<p>You said "I'd consider SB over SD for econ." I just was responding to that.</p>

<p>Not the general quality of life at SD, which I have my own opinions on.</p>

<p>So I've gathered that SB would be a fun place to go but is still a legitimate college?? Is this correct?? What's so fun about Santa Barbara, I've never been there... the city and the college??</p>

<p>Of course UCSB is a legit college. We're not talking about the difference between UCSD and Bob Jones University, here.</p>

<p>SB is just a fun place, it's by the water (next to it, actually), and IV is one of those superlative college towns.</p>

<p>UCSB is amazing. The campus is amazing, and the students are amazing. </p>

<p>The school offers everything a college student would want. It has amazing academics, and the UCSB social life tops just about every school.</p>

<p>The neighboring college town Isla Vista is a bunch of apartments along the beach (well their on cliffs). There are a lot of parties on Del Playa Ave, and IV has some great restaurants. </p>

<p>Also State Street in Santa Barbara is very nice.</p>

<p>Overall UCSB is way better. Where else could you live at the beach, cheer on the best soccer team in the nation, party like no other, and get an amazing education?</p>

<p>UCSB is where it's at!</p>

<p>Dude that rocks, I am definitely enthusiastic about UCSB.. is there a prominent Greek life there?? Are you in it? How big is it at the school?</p>

<p>UCSB is definitely the party school of the pair. But SB (town) doesn't have half of what SD (town) has to offer, and SD (school) is much stronger academically.</p>

<p>The Greeks at UCSB are in the minority here (outcasts), something you don't see at most universities, such as USC, UCLA, UCB, and also 95% of the parties thrown at SB are NOT by the Greeks. What the heck are you talking about SD(town) being better than SB(town)? Are you out of your frigging mind. We have Isla Vista and State St. What do you guys have? Other than some boring town called "La Jolla" where everything is closed at 10 and the cops there are like the Gestapo to anyone throwing parties.</p>

<p>de la noche - I don't go there, but it is my favorite school, so I know a lot about it.</p>

<p>And Marsden, San Diego offers more to do than Santa Barbara, but UCSD is in La Jolla and that is a good 20 minutes away from the Gaslamp District. And I've heard San Diego bars a really strict with fake id's.</p>

<p>Also some people say they can just go to parties at SDSU......but I think that it's sad when your school is so boring you have to go party at another school</p>

<p>de la noche....good luck in your decision. UCSB is so much better.</p>

<p>"San Diego offers more to do than Santa Barbara, but UCSD is in La Jolla and that is a good 20 minutes away from the Gaslamp District. "</p>

<p>The Gaslamp district is pretty much a tourist trap. SD has a dozen more interesting places, some of which are much closer too. And FWIW, UCSB is hardly within walking distance of Santa Barbara (which itself is something of a cross between a tourist trap and an old-folks home!) </p>

<p>;)</p>

<p>
[quote]
The Gaslamp district is pretty much a tourist trap.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Ah, but what a great tourist trap it is...</p>

<p>True dat.. and at the risk of getting OT, I just wish I could move to California</p>

<p>...in 1957 ;)</p>

<p>Academically, UCSD is better for economics but overall UCSB should be more of what you want.</p>

<p>Unless you want consulting or investment banking then I would suggest UCLA or UC Berkeley.</p>

<p>If those careers are not on your radar, then either school for undergrad is fine.</p>

<p>If you wanted to talk about science/engineering then UCSD is clearly the better choice.</p>

<p>Unless of course you are interested in Physics where UCSB is the best hands down.</p>