Ucsd

<p>Hi everyone,
What are your thoughts on the UCSD race issue?</p>

<p>Hi there. If I’m not mistaken, doesn’t the issue you’re referring to apply to all the UCs? I’m not sure though. Can you clarify the issue please lol.</p>

<p>Btw, I was looking into applying to the UCs but the lack of diversity is kind of a turn off. But I don’t know anything for sure yet, I have to look into it.</p>

<p>I’m in the same boat as you Kali. I would like to go to UC Berkeley but having less than a 4% presence at that school is a pretty big turn off, especially coming from a high school with demographics almost exactly like that. I’d like to think that these numbers don’t matter, like I did when I entered the hs I’m in now,and they really don’t matter to me…but you can’t change whats matters to other people, and that become more and more apparent everyday at my school. </p>

<p>It’s even more bleak when you look at the the breakdown of enrollment by race and gender…</p>

<p>[UC</a> Berkeley Fall Enrollment Data](<a href=“http://opa.berkeley.edu/institutionaldata/campusenroll.htm]UC”>UC Berkeley Fall Enrollment Data for New Undergraduates | Office of Planning and Analysis)</p>

<p>Oh wow. The fact that the number, which are clearly already low, of enrolled african americans is decreasing really is off putting. I don’t want to make a decision based on statistics though. Actually, I’d like to hear an African American UC student’s perspective. If anyone ever comes across something like that, please feel free to share :).</p>

<p>Oh my lord! 124 black students! Thats it! That is disgraceful! But also, it does give you an advantage if they are looking for diversity.=)</p>

<p>@Love: Um, I don’t think so. Hence… the 124 black students haha.</p>

<p>thats why I said if they want diversity because there numbers are so low, they would be more inclined to up those numbers by admitting maybe a percent or more.</p>

<p>^They may be more inclined, though they won’t act on it as UC schools cannot legally practice AA, which is why the numbers are so low for black students.</p>

<p>Yea, what emmele said. They’re basically not allowed to accept more blacks, unless they meet the qualifications, even if they wanted to.</p>

<p>Wait huh?
They can’t accept more blacks? That doesn’t make any sense…Thats a little racist. </p>

<p>But I don’t know about UCs any more. At one point I wanted to go to one…now I’m just unsure. I mean, will it be ideal for a black person to go their and feel accepted…or even feel there are enough minorities so they can feel their culture present on the campus?</p>

<p>This article scares me
<a href=“http://patterico.com/2009/02/02/la-times-reports-on-ucla-student-who-is-both-illegal-and-an-affirmative-action-beneficiary/[/url]”>http://patterico.com/2009/02/02/la-times-reports-on-ucla-student-who-is-both-illegal-and-an-affirmative-action-beneficiary/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>is it a benefit or not?</p>

<p>Wait lol. You’re getting confused, Loved. The UCs can accept any race, but they can’t base admission decisions based on that. Affirmative Action allows for the consideration of race as a factor in admissions, which the UCs don’t allow. The UCs only really consider academic qualifications and the majority of blacks generally fall below other applicants in this area. Consequently, there is a small amount of blacks that attend these schools.</p>

<p>“They can’t accept more blacks? That doesn’t make any sense…Thats a little racist.” </p>

<p>Are you kidding me… AA is what is racist. It’s not that “they can’t accept more blacks”, it’s just that they can’t consider race in admissions, and generally blacks have lower stats.</p>

<p>Actually, it’s not so much that they can’t accept more blacks, it’s that all the qualified black applicants either choose not to apply or are accepted and choose not to come because of the lack of diversity which creates a snowball effect. Case in point:Op wasn’t sure about going to a UC because of the small minority presence. I was in love with UC Berkely but then I realized that 1. there were no minorities there and 2. There was visible racism on campus. Being that I have already endured enough, “What do they do in Africa?” comments–I removed it from my list. So the UC’s are not necessarily getting rid of unqualified black applicants but scaring qualified black applicants from applying to UCs. These applicants will probably go to an ivy or some other prestigious college, which is the UC’s loss. Furthermore, the decrease in minority population leads to more racism. Just google racism at Ucs and go through the hits. </p>

<p>In conclusion, OP don’t go to UC. I wouldn’t. I’m not going to college to endure the same type of racism/or even worse as I endured in HS. Why not go to somewhere where someone will appreciate and not degrade my race?</p>

<p>Some lovely highlights. AT UCB
"For example, one student recently reported at a general body meeting of the Black Graduate Student Association that while on campus one day, she was heckled by two white men who persisted in shouting obscenities and racial slurs, including the “N” word.</p>

<p>Another student, complained at a different meeting that his research interests had been devalued, and that’s huge for a graduate student. And his voice was marginalized when, during a required first-year seminar, a professor agreed with a non-minority graduate student that it was unnecessary to discuss race, even though race was a central part of the African American student’s research agenda and one of the primary reasons he came to UC Berkeley.</p>

<p>Many African American graduate students report that what contributes to their feelings of isolation and hostility on this campus parallel the experience of one student, who noted instances where 1) he was the only African American student in the department; 2) he was the only African American student in all of his classes, including grad seminars and a 100-student undergraduate lecture; 3) when trying to get stu<em>dents to help in his department, to help reach out to people of color in recruiting, received responses such as, “We have to be careful not to lower standards,” and, “We want to be careful about getting people’s hopes up.” 4) The faculty discussed at length whether a particular African American candidate was capable of handling our curriculum, based on GRE scores, while having no such discussion concerning white students, even when arguing for admitting one with lower scores than the African American appli</em>cant. 5) The department was trying to address racial diversity by bringing on white students to discuss issues of race."</p>

<p>Ugh, I’m getting angry. I have to leave.</p>

<p>nil…</p>

<p>This is horrible.</p>

<p>But where did you find this information?</p>

<p>google it. It’s pretty easy to find, sadly enough.</p>

<p>Coincidentally…the UC system was NOT racist until after they no longer used race to give African Americans an advantage in being accepted. Then miraculously all the supposed qualified applicants discovered it was racist and have chosen to go to schools where affirmative action is still practiced. While I am certain some actual qualified candidates have chosen not to got to one of the UCs because it wasn’t diversified enough for them, the biggest cause of the lack of diversity at the UCs is not racism but a lack of Africa Americans being able to gain admittance without Affirmative Action giving them an advantage.</p>

<p>Aglages, first of all it is not only African Americans who they stopped giving AA too, it was Hispanics also. “Miraculously?” aglages. It is not miraculous at all. None of my black buddies want to go to UC schools and they are qualified. I don’t see the need for that term. As for black Americans not being able to gain admittance, You cannot prove that at all. You cannot say whether black applicants would gain admittance with or without AA because without a racially diverse class these applicants do not want to even apply or accept the offers of acceptance at UCs. You can’t assume all the black applicants who never applied would be ejected. You can deduce that UCs have fallen in their esteem.</p>

<p>As for the UC being racist. Hey, if you want to go to a school where white women are cursed at … you do that. Personally, I do not want to go to a school where I can see a noose in the library. When should I call the UC system racist? When they hang me? When they rape me or ruin my life? You tell me aglages. I would love to know. Are you racist when you rape or hang someone or call someone the n word? Please tell me, so I can define a racist correctly.</p>

<p>

How do you know they are qualified? Have they applied and been accepted? Please don’t tell me that their stats indicate they are qualified or how many Affirmative Action schools have accepted them. Have they applied and been accepted?

Really? Let me understand how this works: UC schools use AA for admissions decisions and X amount of African Americans apply and are admitted…and the UCs are at least as diverse as any other public college. Then California decides not to use AA for admissions decisions and immediately all the African Americans in the UC schools either drop out or transfer and everybody who was applying that year decided (before the first non-AA class was enrolled) that the UCs were racist and not diverse enough…so they shouldn’t bother applying. Sure.

I don’t believe I said this. What I said was:
"While I am certain some actual qualified candidates have chosen not to go to one of the UCs because it wasn’t diversified enough for them, the biggest cause of the lack of diversity at the UCs is not racism but a lack of Africa Americans being able to gain admittance without Affirmative Action giving them an advantage.

I believe that African Americans use the N word more often than ANY white person that I EVER heard. Are they racist? Oh wait that doesn’t count…because you didn’t really mean that the use of the N word should be the litmus test of a racist…because that would require the same standard to apply to ALL races. If the same standard applied to ALL races what would happen to AA?

Do we really need to discuss whether rape is a racist crime? How about African American crime stats and whether as a black woman you are more likely to be raped in the US by a black man than a white man?</p>

<p>OP, the UCSD Black History Month “cook-out” is a disgusting reminder that racism still exists. It is unfortunate that colleges and universities, which have historically been the beacon of reason and a flow of ideas among people from different backgrounds, have fallen prey to students who abuse this freedom to promote hate. Unfortunately, this issue does not apply to racism towards African-Americans but other races, genders, and people of different sexual orientations. The events that take place not only on college campuses, but in the real world as well, is only a sad reminder that America is not a post-racial society.</p>