UF vs MIAMI PRE-MED

<p>Which school is better for pre-med and more likely to get you in a top notch med school. I get a free ride to uf and i have to pay about $1800 fo miami</p>

<p>miami's pre med is pretty well known for being very tough, and very good. I don't know about UF.</p>

<p>They are about equal, but I'd say that UF may be a teensy bit better</p>

<p>What??...ladyconfused is certainly confused....Miami is unquestionably awesome in two things (with national recognition as well and better thatn UF...) medicine (including premed) and marine science...!!</p>

<p>Miamis neuro biology pre med program is very competitive and of the highest quality ( which will help your admission to med school) They take only about 40 students per year..from all freshmen who get into UM. I would tell you to go to Miami! Their med school class has the majority of students from the UM undergrad..UF med school, form a clinical stand point is very defficient.</p>

<p>Ok, Packattack, they are both great medical schools. I would say about the same although Ive heard Miami being compared more often to other top medical schools such as Harvards medical school. Also the medical center is flat out amazing. the facilities are 10+ story buildings in one of the largest medical centers in the whole country. U can easily distinguish the medical center from the air when ur landing at the airport, if ur plane comes in through South Beach. It is huge. Placement wise is amazing. </p>

<p>UF also has a very good medical center. I have never been in it though so i havent seen it first hand. However Gainesiville is a small rural college town (pretty but small and in the middle of nowhere) so I dont see a very cosmopolitan and large medical center in gainesville beign built as who are u gonna be treating. On the other hand, UMiami owns and operates nationaly recognized hospitals such as the Jackson Memorial Hospital known not only in the U.S But by many ppl aroudn the world. I have lived outside the U.S for some time and ppl did know that hospital and when needed really big surgeries went there. So when u intern at these hospitals u will gain an amazing experience as the hospitals they own and operate cator the world.</p>

<p>Id pick UM but go see UF cause many say UF has a larger and more traditional red brick lookign campus. UM is a big campus but no brick. it resembles more of a country club/ 5 star Resort.</p>

<p>I'm more interested in the quality of the pre-med programs at UF and UM right now. How difficult is it to get good research and volunteer opportunities that would help when I'm applying to med school?</p>

<p>This one is a no brainer. Just as Acarta says, University of Florida is in a very rural area in the middle of central Florida. The city, Gainesville (population 95 447), practically closes down when the school is in recess, holidays or summer breaks because like any other college town, everyone leaves. Miami is a vibrant cosmopolitan metropolis and the gateway to South America. The degree of pathology that you are likely to encounter at Jackson Memorial Medical Center ( the UM Hospital) surpasses other many major international medical centers. The Opthalmology Residency Program is the Number ONE in the country ( Harvard residents have to fight hard to get in there ) and Orthopedics, Neurology and Neurosurgery are in the top 25 in the country.</p>

<p>The only question that anyone should have about attending these schools for undergrad premed is money wise. A free ride at UF beats Um for sure. Now, for medical school is a totally different story. No one ever turns down UM for UF medical school.</p>