UF vs. UM

<p>Of course UF has a higher number of international students, they have more students! Examination by percentages shows that University of Miami is a much more diverse university.</p>

<p>FACT: 44% of The University of Miami represents minority populations, 10% African American, 27% Hispanic, 7% Asian-Americans</p>

<p>In addition, 46% of the University of Miami are Florida residents while 97% of UF are Florida residents... </p>

<p>Also, the demand for private colleges is up across the country
Audrey</a> Kahane - College Admissions Counselor serving Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley & Conejo Valley communities</p>

<p>THIS IS A SUBJECT I CAN REALLY TALK ABOUT
I attended a florida public high school, 96 out of 180 in the IB program I was in attended UF, 6 attended UM. I now go to miami, my 3 best friends and x-bf go to UF. I stayed with my friends at UF during summer session, during the UF VS. UM game, and I was at UF when they won the national championship this year. and here are the differences...</p>

<p>at uf everyone is from florida, the kids are generally more down to earth, and greek life is WAY WAY bigger there. At Miami it definitely has a presence but it's nothing like how it is at a state school. UF has more school spirit, Miami's football games are never full (although our tickets are free! and you're lucky if you get season tickets at UF) while UF's games are insane, tailgating is way more fun there.
This is what kids do at UF for fun: go to frat parties, go to house parties, drink with friends, and maybe go to a bar or "club" on the only street that has any in Gainesville.
here's what kids do for fun in Miami: go to frat parties, go to house parties, drink with friends, go to bars in the grove on thursdays, go to the beach, go to clubs in south beach, and many other experiences that Miami has to offer.
you obviously can't compare the town of gainesville to Miami.
Yet the kids at Miami tend to be more pretentious than those at UF, obviously resulting from the fact that it costs about $30,000 more to attend here. I was never used to dealing with northerners, now all of my closest friends are from the tri-state area. Also it actually gets WAY colder at UF than it does a miami. The only thing that annoys me about the weather in Miami is that the students here are constantly freaking out about it, b/c they're not used to it. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "omg it's 10 degrees back home!" or "I can't believe we're at the pool in December!" or "all my friends back home are so jealous," I'm just saying... it can get annoying.
It's very easy to get around campus at UM, but obviously UF is huge. The classes there are WAY bigger, 100 students in a class is normal, while my biggest class had 60 students and the average size is around 20. Also at Miami the school cares about you a lot more, it's WAY more personal. While at UF you're more on your own. You're getting what you paid for basically. </p>

<p>let me know if you have any questions!</p>

<p>and in response to diversity, that is one thing that I feel Miami over exaggerates. There really aren't very many african american, asian, or indian students. Also most of the spanish students are commuters. I live in the freshmen dorms, and literally 75% of the students are white and from the tri-state area. on my floor there are only 5 non-white girls (out of 40 kids). I went to a really diverse high school, so that was one thing that disappointed me about Miami. Although other residential colleges are more diverse, as well as my classes, if you live in Hecht your freshman year, don't expect too much diversity.</p>

<p>Miami was ranked fourth in the nation in diversity...</p>

<p>I went to an extremely diverse high school as well, but most colleges tend to not be diverse at all.</p>

<p>I personally would rather live in Pensacola than Miami. But Pensacola is in the panhandle, nowhere near Gainesville.</p>

<p>I attended UMiami, and we did have some very large classes, for freshman biology, chem, even organic chem. But we had smaller classes for calculus and physics, so that was great. </p>

<p>I never visited UFlorida, so I can't compare the two. I was the proud owner of a Gator Hater Tshirt when I was in college, but hold no ill feelings toward the school.</p>

<p>UF student life is alot more than just Greek Life. Check out these other Student Organizations:</p>

<p>Florida</a> Blue Key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>Theatre</a> Strike Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>The</a> Pride of the Sunshine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>University</a> of Florida Hillel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>ACCENT</a> Speakers Bureau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>University</a> of Florida ROTC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>In addition many recreational activities are available for students include indoor and outdoor sports, outdoor courts and playing fields on campus, in the Stephen C. O'Connell Center, University Golf Course, Plaza of the Americas, the Student Recreation and Fitness Center, the Southwest Recreation Center, and the Florida Gymnasium for indoor sports. Florida offers intramural and club sports ranging from archery to weightlifting. Near the campus are many recreational lakes and rivers, including university-owned Lake Alice. In addition, student have access to the J. Wayne Reitz Union which is equipped with a bowling alley, pool tables, an arcade, and numerous other activities.</p>

<p>The campus also contains open spaces, small ponds, picnic areas, shady nooks and an 81-acre wildlife sanctuary that provide opportunities to enjoy Florida's year-round sunshine activity life.</p>

<p>Lastly, the University of Florida has more than eight hundred organizations and clubs for students to join. They range from cultural and athletic to subjects pertaining to philanthropy.</p>

<p>UF offers many fun and interesting things. The only problem is they offer you the multiple choice, 1000 students in a class style of education which many would not consider education at all.</p>

<p>^ 1000 students in a class are you kidding me? UF's largest class is maybe 300 at most (and those classes are only for Gen-Ed courses).</p>

<p>Also when a student gets into their major it reduces to 20-25 a class.</p>

<p>While the general education class size sounds about right, the class sizes for upper level classes doesn't
When we took the tour and spoke to students on campus we were told a bit higher for most of the classes ----50-75-80 were the numbers we were given.
Also, as the budget cuts begin to impact the university more of the classes are on-line. We are hearing this from current freshman.</p>

<p>I don't think anyone can predict what will happen next year.</p>

<p>What do you call the electronic platform classes where the lectures stream on the computer and there is no actual class interaction? I may have exaggerated with 1000, but in terms of education, if there is no critical thinking, it does not matter whether there are 600 students or 300 students. The computer-graded, multiple choice education is what is offered at UF and that undermines the fostering of critical thinking skills.</p>

<p>"I may have exaggerated with 1000, but in terms of education, if there is no critical thinking, it does not matter whether there are 600 students or 300 students. The computer-graded, multiple choice education is what is offered at UF and that undermines the fostering of critical thinking skills."</p>

<p>I think you are talking about the online classes provided by the Warrington College of Business. From what I understand students specifically chose to take these online courses. I also believe that alot of these classes are in the regular format as well. As far as not providing critical thinking skills - The Warrington College of Business is ranked in the Top 25 for Undergraduate Education, and has one of the best MBA Programs in the United States. Fact: studying business at UF is 1000x stronger than what can be found at the "U" (who's MBA Program is not even ranked).</p>

<p>In terms of Donut's comment: I think this information is just flat out wrong. In addition all the money that has been brought in from Tuition Differential is helping to fix some of the budget issues for the Undergraduate Program. Fact: UF is in fact hiring hundreds of faculty & staff at this current moment. If anything UF is using this opportunity to get rid of faculty in deadweight programs that have not achieved distinction. Also UF was just approved to raise tuition to the National Average (from 3k a year to about 7k a year).</p>

<p>SSobick, I am interested in Business which is where I derived that information. That clears that up. As for rankings though, UM is the only undergraduate business school ranked in the top 50 in Florida according to Business Weekly. I do not know about the rest of the school.</p>

<p>University of Florida</p>

<p>27th overall by the U.S. News & World Report, 2008
18th for Finance
20th for Management
8th for Marketing
8th for Real Estate
10th for Quantitative Analysis/Methods
15th for Production/Operations Management
15th for Accounting</p>

<p>UF2013Hopeful I would suggest that if you are truly undecided, you re-visit each campus and spend a night - if this is still possible to arrange. I took a couple of grad courses as a commuter at UF and recently toured UM with my son. Obviously size is a huge difference as is parking. At UF your car may be many miles off campus and a 10-15 minute shuttle ride from your dorm at UM there was lots of parking right on campus. How far will you have to go to get breakfast? Getting myself registered and clearing up a registration glitch at UF was a multi-day, multi-building, multi-office multi-mile walking nightmare (I'm way not 18 anymore). At UM important offices seemed to be more centrally located. While we were at UM, I actually witnessed a secretary helping a student by calling another office rather than making them walk over there, perhaps unnecessarily. That was way NOT my experience at UF.</p>

<p>UF2013,</p>

<p>Don't get hung up on the ratings. BusinessWeek 2008 Undergrad rating has UF at 46th and UM at 49th, hardly a difference.</p>

<p>Decide what experience you want. UF: Big, Public, Primarily Floridian, More of a College Town, Probably Less Expensive.
UM: Smaller, Private, More Geographic Student Diversity, Miami/SouthBeach, More Expensive.</p>

<p>Niether is better or worse. It's about the situation you feel most comfortable with.</p>

<p>The</a> Top Undergraduate Business Programs</p>

<p>2009 rankings</p>

<p>I completely agree that the school you should choose is based on fit, because the rankings are close enough. I'm just tired about hearing how UF is SO much better when the rankings dictate otherwise.</p>

<p>^ I am tired of hearing about how UF is in the middle of nowhere and it's full of boring people and lacks diversity (which is clearly a myth promulgated by University of Miami students/alumni).</p>

<p>To be honest comparing UF to UM is apples to oranges. Completely different missions, demographics, academic strengths, etc...</p>

<p>in all due respect - you are obviously completely proUF - not sure what you are doing on the UM message site.</p>

<p>We spent time at both schools - One is HUGE and one is much smaller. As far as diversity only a small percentage of UF undergrads are out of state. Those are the facts and therefore no debate is necessary.</p>

<p>Everyone should decide which school fits and go with it. No need to bashing.</p>

<p>SSobick, I think UF is a great school and I agree that the comparison is apples and oranges. Choosing one or the other i based on which one fits you more. Academically, they are both very comparable to each other and have their own obvious areas of expertise. I just tire of hearing that UF is so much better academically.</p>

<p>Rankings are a joke and reveal more about the individuals who value them than the value of the universities. It's easy to understand why people are so confused, though; our education systems are wondrously effective at hammering out creativity and individual thought. As Einstein is quoted, "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." You're paying for access to intellectual inspiration, lab resources (in science), and the opportunity to explore provocative ideas, not increasingly "rigorous academic standards" or some other nonsense.</p>