UFE and campus visit

<p>It is my understanding that after phone and in person interviews, about 50 are chosen for Fellowes. About 8 of these actually get the Academic Elite Scholarship.</p>

<p>I think someone’s answered this before – can’t find the answer:
Can students be both UFE and CBHP?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Yes, and there are kids in both</p>

<p>*It is my understanding that after phone and in person interviews, about 50 are chosen for Fellowes. About 8 of these actually get the Academic Elite Scholarship. *</p>

<p>I don’t think fellows has ever chosen anywhere close to 50 students. The website suggests 40, but I don’t think they’ve ever had a UFE class with that many, either.</p>

<p>yes…about 8 get the Elite scholarships. I don’t think that any NMFs have ever been given the Elite…but I could be wrong.</p>

<p>Frankly, I think Bama needs to get rid of the Elite and change it into an equal amount given to each Fellow and CBH student. I think the Elite is not conducive for good morale.</p>

<p>^most excellent</p>

<p>You UFE Finalists have been awfully quite! Has anyone heard anything? Have they let you know when to expect a decision?</p>

<p>^I was thinking that all UFE decisions were out. (My son was rejected.) But we are still waiting to hear back about CBHP! That should be any day now, I think.</p>

<p>The interview weekend for finalists was the last weekend in February. We found out only a week later whether we were invited to the program. I’ve been admitted to the program…Roll Tide! There are about 33 people in the UFE c/o 2015 group on facebook.</p>

<p>Congrats rjw, it’s a wonderful program!</p>

<p>Rjw0318, do you have any insights you are comfortable sharing with respect to the application and interview process. My DS2012 hopes to be in a position to apply next year. </p>

<p>Specifically, what do you think set you and the other newly accepted fellows apart from the other applicants? I know you will never REALLY know, but do you have a gut feeling?</p>

<p>CONGRATS RJW!! I guess I just assumed you guys were still waiting like CBH. It must be such a relief to know, and be on with life:)</p>

<p>Congrats again!!</p>

<p>Thank you everyone! I was soo impressed with the entire interview weekend, as were the other finalists. All of the faculty/current fellows we met were extremely encouraging and helpful. The weekend was organized very well.</p>

<p>As far as making it to the semifinalist/finalist etc., I didn’t know until the interview weekend just how important community service was in the selection process. Fellows is a VERY service-oriented program, and it seemed like every one of the finalists had volunteer experience. The summers after my freshman and sophomore years I volunteered as a counselor of sorts at a center for underprivileged kids whose parents couldn’t afford daycare while they worked. The summer after junior year I volunteered at Alabama Arise, which is a non-profit org. dedicated to improving the living standards of lower income people in Alabama via legislature. I did sort of secretarial type work for them.
Once you have the required ACT/GPA to be invited to the program, your grades/scores really don’t matter in the decision process.
I thought my phone interview went TERRIBLY. It was soo awkward, and of course my phone battery died halfway through!
I was so surprised when I got the finalist letter. I talked to other people at the finalist weekend, and they all said they thought their phone interview went badly too!
Basically the whole weekend is spent mingling and getting to know people—other finalists, current fellows, faculty…the actual formal “interview” is on Saturday and it only lasts about twenty minutes. Mine was with 2 current fellows, retired faculty member, and current faculty member. It was very conversational and not stressful at all.</p>

<p>It’s a tired cliche, but just be yourself! Be enthusiastic about the program and what you hope to learn from it…which isn’t hard to do because they sell it sooo well the entire weekend.</p>

<p>I’m very happy to be apart of it next year! You really meet the most interesting, smart, motivated people. I also came away from the weekend lovinggg UA .</p>

<p>^^^Thank you so much. Congratulations on this honor and best wishes for a wonderful Bama experience.</p>

<p>Congratulations RJW, you sound like a great addition to this program!! Have a wonderful first year experience and enjoy UA. Best of Luck…Roll Tide :)</p>