UGA Honors College- any info appreciated

Hi. I’m just looking for any intel on UGA’s Morehead Honor’s College. I think there is a decent chance my daughter chooses UGA, and I know that the honors college is a fairly big factor in this decision. I guess I’m just wondering how good an opportunity it really is and whether it really should be such a big factor in her decision. She has visited UGA but not the honors college.
By the way, she probably won’t even live in the honors housing since she wants to live in one of the social freshmen high-rises.
We are out of state.

The biggest advantage of Honors is priority registration. After their first semester, Honors students get priority registration over everyone else (including seniors and graduate students). The Honors sections of the gen Ed requirements are typically taught in smaller classes with some of the better professors. The only real disadvantage is to actually graduate with Honors, students have to complete an Honors seminar their first semester (it’s pass-fail) and a certain number of Honors classes per year, for a total of nine Honors classes over 4 years. Some majors lend themselves better to this requirement than others, so it could be difficult to meet the Honors requirements if a student enters with a lot of completed general Ed requirements through AP or DE credit and there aren’t a lot of Honors classes offered in their major. However, if this gets to be too much, they can always drop Honors if it doesn’t work out.

Honors college is very quick to respond to email if you have questions. We toured both Honors and Engineering schools. Engineering is a major where there are not a lot of Honors courses. Our tour guide was a senior Engineer Honors major. He said about 1/2 his classes his freshman year were Honors (because they are actually Math classes and pre-reqs, etc). And then in his junior and senior years, he picked a few classes and coordinated with the professor on one extra project for the class. He liked that he could pick any topic. Honors college confirmed that is a popular approach for juniors and seniors.

I asked what % of Honors freshman live in the Honors dorm. They estimated about 30%

I also asked major breakdown of Honors college. It matches the rest of the University.

They said Honors is selected by the Top 10% by GPA and Test Scores only. And the Honors Intro is just a 1 hr class designed to connect the kids and show them how Honors works.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

thanks!

my daughter has in fact committed to UGA and I think the honors college was a factor in her decision, although not the whole reason. she just got a good vibe from the campus and the town. Honors is just gravy.

she plans to be in the 70% of honors kids who don’t live in the honors dorm. she wants the more social freshman high rise experience.

she is also in SPIA (School of Public and International Affairs) as a poly sci major so we will see how much Honors really adds to her experience. I think the bulk of her advising will actually come through SPIA…

any other new Morehead Honors parents out there?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.