UGA vs Univ of Florida

Personally I’d apply UF any day over UGA. Love Gainesville. And then UF over FSU.
All good schools though so I don’t think you can go too wrong with any of them.

Interesting as it seems the opposite way here in FL.
UGA is ranked as the 16th public and the acceptance rate on Niche says 48%. UF is ranked 5th and has a 31% acceptance rate so it seems that UGA is an easier admit. I think last year UF had over 65,000 applicants and I would imagine that number will be close this year.

UF has had “online” classes for Business for years even in the 90’s when I went there - the class was filmed and you could just watch whenever you wanted. You could attend the lecture in person but if was filmed it was easier just to watch at a later time. I think the students today probably enjoy not having to get up and go to class at a certain time. I know my son at FSU has some online classes and I think he prefers it that way so it doesn’t interfere with his very busy social life :rofl:

Not sure but honors college and regular admission applications are separate at UGA. UGA does an auto admit for early action for some honors college students. There’s a separate honors college application due in February for those who apply regular decision or those who applied EA and were not auto admitted to honors. These were kids that didn’t get into UGA at all but got into Florida. My assumption is they were just regular UF admits not honors but don’t know.

Certain majors at UC Berkeley have some online classes. Do you view Berkeley as a substandard flagship?

1 Like

UGA is no longer a 47% admit but I think you just answered the difference in admission percentage by the number of applications. Needless to say, as number of applications go up, admission rate necessarily goes down if class size and predicted yield stay the same. Last year UGA had 40,000 applications. Admit rate is around 38% I think with 15,000 admitted for 6000 spots. My expectation is the UGA admit rate will drop again as applications at least for EA are up 21% over last year. This is the first year that UGA has said that preference will be given to in-state students due to the number of applications. They are planning on keeping the 80% in state make up of UGA.

The thing about state schools with a high number of applications is that a lot of the applicants particularly out of state are not competitive. The UGA admissions blog has noted this multiple times because people don’t realize how difficult UGA is to get into. In-state is a little self regulating because people see who gets in from their high school and realize where you need to be in the class to be competitive. They also don’t realize that they re-calculate GPA and don’t weigh honors classes so the GPA on your high school transcript may be significantly higher than your UGA GPA.

The average admitted kid to UGA has roughly a 4.2 UGA GPA (weight to AP and IB only and only core classes), 32+ on the ACT and an average of 10 APs. Quoting the stats from memory but it’s close. These are slightly higher than UF freshman admit stats If you look at the 25–75 breakdown for both schools and consider that UF gives .5 weight for honors.

4 Likes

On this measure, yes. It’s been a long time since I’ve heard anyone argue that Berkeley does a great job serving undergrads, especially underclassmen. I don’t think they do. It’s not a coincidence that Berkeley no longer gets the most undergrad applications in the UC system, even though their research reputation is as stellar as ever.

3 Likes

Freshman admitted profile for both schools is very similar - basically identical. The only thing I can think of why these kids don’t get into Georgia that get into Florida is the additional weight for high school honors classes at UF. That and the fact that the kids I’m aware of are from highly populated areas in Georgia where in UGA admit is more competitive.

1 Like

UCLA offers many online classes to freshman. The 3 types are discussed here: All About Enrollment - New Student Academic Programs

Thank you- I appreciate your insight. I have a class of '23 daughter and she is applying to both UF and UGA so it will be interesting to see where everything ends up this year.

From my understanding, and consistent with the link you shared, UCLA offers online courses, it does not require them. I have no problem with making this option available to students who prefer it. If UCLA has started requiring everyone to take online courses, shame on them, too. I already don’t recommend that my students pay OOS prices for four years at a UC.

3 Likes

the idea that a freshman isn’t guaranteed housing is nuts to me. seems ludicrous to pay and apply for housing when she won’t hear if she got in for months…

4 Likes

Please stay on the topic of the thread - UGA versus UFL - discussions about the UCs belong in other threads. Thank you all for your cooperation.

1 Like

A lot of schools have housing priority tied to when you make your housing payment. At UGA, for example, a lot of people just pay the $35 after they get in even if they don’t know whether they are going to go there to get good housing priority. Georgia Tech is the same, although it is hundreds of dollars so a different calculation. What’s crazy to me about Florida is the fact that you have to pay right after you apply without knowing whether you’re even in the school.

1 Like

Please explain

That would likely derail this thread. If you want to start a separate one, please do.

You really can’t just throw a statement like that out there with no information to back it up
You should delete it

4 Likes

It’s discussed elsewhere on CC.

1 Like

SB 7044. Any faculty with options should strongly consider non Florida ones.

2 Likes

I think it’s hard to make a decision based on what others would say. You have to visit. UGA is huge. Bus huge - ie short of honors many have to take a bus. If she’s interested in the IR part of if Poli Sci UGA is a national leader although Florida is fine (as is FSU).

Money - FL is cheaper but aid more likely at UGA.

Access - you can fly to Gainesville but would you ? Athens a haul from the airport. Similar as Gainesville to Jax

Anyone can come up with pros and cons. But if it comes down to these, there’s lots of time between acceptance and May 1 and you need to take a few days and go to both. Not close to one another but you can do over two days.

Good luck.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by “short of honors”. There are actually a ton of freshman dorms that hold thousands of students that are as close or closer than the “honors dorm”. The Hill community, Russell, Creswell, Brumby, BMD all freshmen and center of campus. There are Freshman dorms in East Campus Village (some apt style which is the draw) that are not particularly close, but the majority of freshmen dorms are 10 minute walk from most freshman classes. ECV is probably a 20 minute walk but may be closer to engineering and science buildings than the others.

1 Like