UH Summer Seminar Luddites!

<p>I am registered for this class and just found out they will drop it if 5 people don’t register. This is for the interim session (May 9 - May 27). Check out the description:
Using a variety of texts, including some emergent scientific and cultural criticism of the Internet age, students will examine whether or not our economic, educational, and social lives are better off as a result of these shifts.</p>

<p>During the class, the students refrain from using internet and journal about how this effects their lives and the way they process information.</p>

<p>Hopefully two more people can register!</p>

<p>Oooh, too bad the 15 yo can’t come down to do this one. He’s already read The Shallows by Nicholas Carr and would love this Seminar. Good luck!</p>

<p>Hey, we don’t have a cell phone yet. Would be qualify as semi-luddites? :D</p>

<p>you dont have a cell phone!!!</p>

<p>how do you live!!! </p>

<p>haha!</p>

<p>3 weeks without going on the internet? No wonder only 3 people have signed up (j/k)</p>

<p>I’d give up my cell phone way before I gave up internet access. I don’t really like talking to people anyway :-)</p>

<p>*Hey, we don’t have a cell phone yet. *</p>

<p>Wow! Is your son going to get one for college?</p>

<p>LadyD plans to give him one that will ONLY call Stokes County, NC…</p>

<p>;-)</p>

<p>Wow, no cell, that’s amazing. I know that some people have personal reasons for not using a cell but might I suggest a cell for your son while he is at school. A cell phone is really a necessity for communication between students, updates on weather advisories, professor notifications, and work messages.</p>

<p>^ agreed -
I’m amazed at how email carries so little importance to my kids these days… if I want them to see something, I text it.</p>

<p>We don’t have Facebook. does that put me in the semi-Luddite category too?</p>

<p>My kids have too much screen time already, and I have seen too many kids spending endless hours updating their status, “sexting” and posting pictures on Facebook that could cause them trouble down the line.</p>

<p>I will admit, my kids don’t get cell phones until they start driving, but most kids don’t talk on the phone anyway, they just text.</p>

<p>I’m thinking (hoping) Skype will be good for communication with D while she is at college, but I have a feeling more often than not I will be lucky to get a quick text asking for more money;) LOL!!</p>

<p>LOL, y’all, yes, we’ll be getting cell phones sometime before August. :)</p>

<p>But I really like loring’s idea… :D</p>