UH vs UTA for Nursing (Or alternatives?)

Hi everyone,

I got waitlisted from NYU’s nursing school this week and don’t expect to get off the list before May 1st, so I’m trying to figure out which of my backup schools I should plan to attend. Which school is better for Nursing: University of Houston or University of Texas at Arlington? All the student I’ve reviews I’ve been looking at on separate websites has me worried to go to either school, so I decided to make a thread here in hopes of getting some actual reviews from current students of either school. I’ve also posted on a separate forum and was advised to go to community college first and look into an RN to BSN, or take a gap year and apply to more colleges. (Both UTA and UH are Pre-Nursing with competitive admissions to the upper division) However, no one in that thread was an actual nursing major so they couldn’t give me much help. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

I am a nurse practitioner in Houston and while i can not give you a comparison on the 2 schools, I can tell you Houston is an awesome city to study nursing! We have the world’s largest medical center in the world. We also have several great BSN programs here in Houston. If you can brave our hot summers, I suggest coming to UH for your pre-requisite classes, establish Texas residency to help with tuition costs and then apply to several nursing programs here…UT, TWU, Praireview, UTMB (Galveston, but not too far). Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply! I’m a Texas resident so I’m used to the hot summers (prefer them to bitter winters actually lol) I will definitely take that into consideration when making my decision! May I ask what type of Nurse Practitioner you are and where you earned your degrees from? Thanks again :slight_smile:

I earned my family nurse practitioner degree over 20 years ago in Louisiana… great thing about nursing is there are so many options! Best of luck!

1 Like