UHP, IHP essays

<p>Hey everyone - quick question. The UHP essay says “short essay.” The IHP essay say “briefly.”
What do these mean? Should I use the bare minimum words?</p>

<p>Both seem to be pretty much stats-driven, so I don’t think your essay for either will carry much weight. I just copied-and-pasted my Common App essays in</p>

<p>I just did like two sentences and I got into both. As long as you have a 3.3 GPA/ 28 ACT your in.</p>

<p>There’s a character limit, so you can’t write too much. My D wrote a couple short paragraphs.</p>

<p>It tells you that admission into the programs are based on stats, not essays. I wrote a couple of sentences plus a “roll tide” for each.</p>

<p>*I wrote a couple of sentences plus a “roll tide” for each. *</p>

<p>lol…</p>

<p>Seriously, you could write: My intended major is ___<strong><em>. I have a career interest in </em></strong>. Roll tide.</p>

<p>Admissions is by stats…the UHP and IHP “essays” are just intros.</p>

<p>Haha, well I feel dumb for putting so much effort into them now…</p>

<p>There’s no harm in putting effort into those essays. They’re your opportunity to introduce yourself to the folks at the Honors College - no reason not to make a good impression, even if admission is a given.</p>

<p>I agree with beth’s mom, when we were there the weekend for UFE interviews/came in a couple days early to do the tour, so D could meet with department heads etc., as it was her first time to campus…she met with the IHP Director and right away the discussion became about her essay for IHP. I would say it is always a good idea to put your best effort forward in these essays. Suggestion: In a brief way incorporate what you will bring to the program(s) and what you hope to gain from being a part of each program/how it will complement your major/minor etc.</p>

<p>Ok. My IHP essay was 2 paragraphs and my UHP was 3. I was thinking along the lines of “What if CBHP or UFE reads these essays?” and I wanted it to be a good impression :)</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>That’s a thought, if you’re also applying to CBH or UFE. </p>

<p>That said, I can tell you that the IHP and UFE essays weren’t looked at for CBH.</p>

<p>CBH essays are uploaded into Sharepoint, and that’s what is seen during the selection process by those who contribute to the decision-making. </p>

<p>But…don’t feel bad that you wrote a lot for IHP or UHP…writing is good practice! :)</p>

<p>Is 591 words way too much for UHP? I haven’t gone through to try to cut anything out yet. My IHP is 294.</p>

<p>Just realized the 2000 character limit. Trimmed the essays accordingly.</p>

<p>I’m now applying to the UFE - but I see the essay prompts are very similar to what I just wrote. Would submitting the same essay be stupid? It’s hard to give a different answer.</p>

<p>^^^I would tweak your essay a bit so that it seems you put specific thought into both. I believe that they (UFE) will see all your essay answers. Also I would write a longer essay for UFE with more specific detail towards community service and commitment.</p>

<p>*Also I would write a longer essay for UFE with more specific detail towards community service and commitment. *</p>

<p>Agree.</p>

<p>Just trim your UHP essay to just a paragraph or so. Then fine tune the original version for UFE focusing on community service and leadership.</p>