UIC GPPA Class of 2026

Thread for 2026 class.

1 Like

Is GPPA worth it?

I’m a freshman currently in GPPA med (not sure if you mean GPPA in general or specifically med) and I am incredibly happy with my decision. Given some things about UIC are less than ideal, but it’s in the middle of Chicago and affordable so I can’t complain much. But the GPPA program is incredibly well respected and has really good stats. Everyone in the program is exceptionally smart and talented and you are given a seat in medical school. If your strife is that it’s not a top 20 or saying you’re going to UIC sounds lame think once you’re a doctor who cares if you went to UIC. If you can get in (which is tough) it’s a great program that I highly recommend.

hey do you remember when you got your honors college acceptance? I got my UIC general admissions but don’t know when to realistically expect the honors college or interview candidate email

11/25

How long after your honors acceptance were you notified that you were being considered for the GPPA? I got into the honors college about three weeks ago but still haven’t heard about the GPPA.

I heard from GPPA around early December I think.

Hey Guys - @jawacat First of all thank you so much. I have read all your post since last year what an awesome journey you had. I applied for GPPA for this year. I got my UIC and Honors both on 11/11 and 11/17 (positive) and now biting my nails every day waiting if I would get an interview. Any idea when Honors college would send out invitations for interview and also any tips on how to prepare for it

my daughter got her regular on 11/16 and the honors on 11/17. Still waiting for GPPA :slight_smile:

They seem to be sending decisions later this year :thinking: but I’m fairly sure as of last year they’ve discontinued honors interviews so just wait for GPPA interview request which may come after Christmas.

should i be concerned i havent gotten a reply from honors college yet… none of my friends have gotten theirs either but from what I know today was the last day to hear back for priority deadline

jk i got it literally 10 min later lol

3 Likes

Can you all share your stats please?

@jawacat Is there a way to know the range of GPA and SAT score of the admitted GPPA class from last year? UIC website doesn’t give that information.

I assume we are talking about the accelerated BS/MD GPPA program (there are other GPPA programs). Assume nearly all As in a very rigorous schedule, at least 4 years of classes in each of the core subject areas, and a 34+ ACT. Many successful applicants also have patient facing experience (hospital volunteer, assistant CNA, etc.). Some also have research experience. You might also ask your question on the BS/MD thread.

1 Like

Thanks, Yes my question was about BS/MD GPPA. My D in HS2023 class and wants to try her luck in GPPA specifically as we are from IL. I know @jawacat is already in the GPPA BS/MD class from last year. So was curious to know if he has more insights on this program specifically.

@TheBoldedFranklin is also in the program, and his stats fit the profile I wrote above. Perhaps he can add his thoughts too.

1 Like

Yes I remember his awesome journey “Reject train”!

1 Like

I posted pretty much all of my stats in last years BS/MD reflection thread but I’ve pasted it here too so you don’t have to search :

Stats

GPA: 4.0 (UW), 4.654 (W)

Class Rank: NA; Class Size 300+

SAT/ACT: Test optional

AP’s (at time of application)
Human Geo: 5
Computer Science Principles: 5
Seminar: 5
Research: 5
Language and composition: 4
Biology: 3 (was done with the crappy online FRQs)
(I sent all my AP scores to colleges, even the dismal 3 in biology)

AP Calculus BC (5), Psychology (5), Literature and Composition (5), and German (4) (taken senior year after application);

Teacher / Counselor Recs: Not seen, but in my interview with Dr.Chambers he told me they are some of the best letters of recommendation he has ever seen :sweat_smile: My counselor and I are really close, and the other came from my research teacher (who really likes me as I’m my school’s only student to get a 5 in both AP Capstone courses) and my AP Bio teacher who also thought I was a good student.

Major ECs:
Varsity Track and Field Athlete: All Conference (3 years); Varsity letter (3 years); 9th,10th,11th grades

JV/Varsity Field Hockey Player: Varsity letter (1 year); Athletic Honor Roll; Elite 8; 9th,10th,11th grades

Varsity Cross Country Athlete: All Conference (1 year); Varsity letter (1 year); Varsity Newcomer of the Year; 11th grade

National Honor Society: Chapter President; 10th,11th,12th grades

Independent Research: Conducted independent research on personality and placebos; 11th grade

AP Research Mentor Cohort: Founder and coordinator; 12th grade

Work:
Dunkin’ Donuts Cashier: 11th grade

Honors:
-Advanced Placement Capstone Diploma
-National German Exam Level 2 Silver Presidential Honor Roll
-Advanced Placement Scholar with Distinction
-Mu Alpha Theta

Community Service:
Summer Freshman Academy Co-teacher: Helped to teach incoming freshmen with IEPs and 504s math and communication skills for High School; 11th grade

Medically related activities:
I have a rather unique situation. I have no shadowing or hospital volunteering, and haven’t had any opportunities to conduct research with a college or other institution. However, my mother is quite medically complicated and I am one of her caretakers. I also have two sisters on the autism spectrum and I have ADHD and Tourette’s disorder. My experience and interest in medicine is very personal and I detailed this in my application. So while I don’t have the traditional medicine related extracurriculars, I think my unique relationship with the field of medicine made me stand out.

Applied to the following BS/MD Programs:
CWRU PPSP: rejected pre-interview
UIC GPPA: Accepted

I only applied to two programs, not out of a lack of interest in a BSMD, cause I am very interested, but out of the desire to put forth better applications. I felt that focusing my effort on two BSMD programs would allow for better applications, and I think it did, however, I do wish I had applied to more BSMD programs. I frankly wasn’t expecting to get into any BSMD programs, since I feel under qualified, therefore, I think my lack of faith in myself did hold me back from trying to apply for other programs.
All in all, I feel like a bit of a strange candidate and am quite shocked that I even got in, but elated none the less.

2 Likes

@Parentof2Ds - I attended UIC GPPA online information session and I took a pic of one of the slides that they shared for 2021.
Hope this helps

3 Likes