UIC GPPA School of Nursing

<p>Hi everyone, I was accepted to UIC GPPA for Nursing, but I am not sure if I want to attend. My other choices are University of Michigan and University of Pittsburgh. What I am confused about is how GPPA works for Nursing. I realize that my admission to the program means I do not have to apply when I'm a sophomore to get into the School of Nursing the next year. So, does that mean UIC starts their clinical work junior year? I wonder about this because U-M starts from the beginning, and Pitt starts sophomore year. Does UIC have some sort of simulation labs to use during the first two years then?</p>

<p>You don’t start the nursing program until your third year. You don’t take any Nursing classes during your pre-req period. The Nursing college doesn’t accept students until their Junior year.</p>

<p>Thanks for replying Nova10. Are you a current nursing student at UIC? I am having a hard time deciding which college to attend. I live in Illinois so by going to UIC GPPA I’ll save money instead of going to U-M or Pitt. Like I said previously, though, the other schools start their nursing program earlier, especially the clinical work.</p>

<p>I knew Nursing students, but I was a pharmacy student there. It just one of the things you pick up on while there.</p>

<p>Do you remember what the nursing courses were like for your friends? Did they enjoy it or were there mixed feelings?</p>

<p>I was accepted to UCI but not to the nursing program.
iloafbread what was your GPA and did you have a lot of community services at any hospitals?
And for anyone that knows is it easy to change your major to nursing your junior year?</p>

<p>From what I have heard, admissions to the College of Nursing is very competitive. They have about 100 seats and more than 300 applications. The average GPA is > 3.5. We are talking about the University of IL at Chicago not University of California at Irvine, though</p>

<p>There are mixed feelings about the classes, but in general, thought they got a good education. Their tradition is that on graduation is to jump into the west campus pool in their student scrubs.</p>

<p>bananan12, I have a GPA of 4.22 (I don’t know what it is unweighted) and 100+ hours of volunteer service at a hospital. Good luck on your decision.</p>

<p>Hahaha that tradition sounds exciting! Thanks for your input; it’s helping me make up my mind.</p>