UIUC Class of 2026 Discussion

Why senior year has a lot of cs students than previous year?

I assume transfers. As I said above, starting with Fall 2022, intercollegiate CS transfers will not be allowed. Only transfers from CC and other 4 year colleges will be permitted.

Thank you for sharing the link and the info. Given the size of the university and its strong CS program, I thought the numbers were going to be much higher.

Our youngest S was accepted in CS (Grainger) for fall 2022. Instate.

1 Like

I’m a little confused by these #s. Does the class size grow 3x from freshman to senior due to transfers? This doesn’t compute given the “its difficult to switch to CS/CE/ME” narrative. I understand some of those transfers are coming from other universities but it still doesn’t make sense to me.

For instance, on the ECE site they say they had 300+ CE undergrads who receive their degree in the last available year but the senior year # in this report is 600.

What am I missing?

It’s always been competitive to switch into CS from another major/school. Again, CS intercollegiate transfers won’t be allowed starting in the Fall. Only CS transfers from CCs and other 4 year colleges will be allowed. I believe most of the historical transfers are coming from the Illinois CCs that have articulation agreements with UIUC, rather than other 4 year colleges.

I can’t answer your questions on the numbers and comparing to other website citations. Contact the DMI dept that generates these enrollment reports with your questions.

My son didn’t get CS (1st choice), got 2nd choice Math. He finished 9 CS courses from the state university including 3 graduate-level courses, did 7 machine learning certifications, teach ML to other kids, ISEF grand and special award in Robotics and Intelligent machine, USAMO qualifier, STS Scholar, and did a bunch of research project using CS (most of then are award winners in various level of Science Fairs) and now doing a paid job as an app developer.

I am sure your son has some fine acceptances in hand given his outstanding ECs and awards!

Did anyone get admitted into Chemistry? Most of this thread is about CS. The program is so popular they should generate a separate thread😂

1 Like

Yes!! My daughter got into chemistry !

1 Like

My daughter was accepted into her second choice major, IS. How common is it to get second choice instead of waitlist for the first? Both engineering majors - she got Civil and environmental instead of Aerospace.

She’d rather be waitlisted for the first as the second choice isn’t really what she wants to do anymore. Is it possible (how easy or difficult) to transfer into the first choice after the first year? Does she need to have a specific GPA?

A friend’s son was denied after applying DGS, and I thought it would be a slam dunk for him to get in, tbh. I’m truly shocked. Idk what the apps were like this year, but even for DGS, it seems very competitive.

what’s his grades of all the CS and graduate-level ones?

It’s really strange. I’m not one to normally complain about IL or taxes, etc. I’m glad to live here. But for what it costs us to live here, in-state students should get more of a guarantee at least for DGS if they are in the top 10% of the state. Or, crazy idea, they expand the CS program if there aren’t enough seats. There’s a need in the workforce, there’s a demand, is the issue just not enough faculty? CS students pay more, are faculty paid more to entice them? I don’t know. It’s just a head scratcher I guess!

2 Likes

He got the highest possible grades in a course offered - A+ or A. He received Dean Scholar (minimum 16 credit hours with 4.0 GPA) from the state university multiple times.

1 Like

Maybe you could call the admission office. UIUC offered you a second major anyway.

Many students are on the same page. I feel we should let it go.

1st year CS only 154 students seems like a very small pool

@gcpyar I concur with you on letting it go. College admissions these days are as close to lottery as it gets. My S19 with great stats and excellent ECs/Community service applied to 15 colleges and only got in to his major in 5 places (didn’t get some that we thought were just right or safety). He is a junior now and is very happy where he is and has done well. We have learnt from his experience and are more relaxed with my D22. They will do great wherever they end up - there are Nobel laurates who were rejected from places where they wanted to go, but ended up with great achievements at the place where they were accepted.

8 Likes

Ilini Day registration is now open.

4 Likes

bc the standard test is optional now, everyone apply more and more schools. and schools have no clue which one is better than others… just like you said, lottery for the same level of the applicants.

1 Like