UIUC (CS) vs Olin (E:C)

I am not even sure Olin has a CS degree. They have an electrical and computer engineering degree. My kid that was applying this year did not want to touch computer engineering :-). It is a different beast, even if there is some 40-50% overlap with CS.

1 Like

They don’t. It’s essentially a CS heavy mechatronics degree from the EE side or a CompE degree depending on how it’s structured. That said, it’s free, and the CS faculty is small, but impressive. If the OP is willing to do the engineering and systems components of the degree, it seems like a good opportunity.

3 Likes

Make sure that the financial “aid” isn’t already the federal loan. Some schools make the loan look like aid. I am just asking this because I don’t know how much aid (financial or merit) UIUC gives to OOS students.

4 Likes

So don’t waste your time at Michigan or UIUC. UIUC is very hard to change gears. They have this program but very selective to get into https://techmgmt.illinois.edu/

Michigan is great and I am one of the regulars on the thread but you just can’t beat free. If there is one school well, John Hopkins would be it. Congrats on your many impressive acceptances.

But… If you can combine Olin and Babson, that is a really good combination!!! Plus you said it’s free? That’s an amazing opportunity.

The goal with college is this regardless of your financial situation. Graduate with the least amount of debt possible. No reason having monthly payments of $1,000 /month that you could be putting it in the market or investments to go to work for you. Save the money!! In the reality of life it doesn’t matter. The same companies are offering you basically the same starting salary regardless where you went to school (within reason).

Hopkins name is tough to give up for me but… If you feel Olin is a better fit /feel for you then that alone is hugely important. Save your parents the travel money. You don’t need the other two school. The ROI doesn’t make sense at all.

Your a lucky student. But you worked hard to gain that luck.

I wish you the best.

4 Likes