UIUC (System engr & Design) vs. Purdue (2nd choice IE Polytechnic)

My son is OOS (CA) and got EA to UIUC for System Engineering & Design, and his second choice at Purdue under Industrial Engineering Polytechnic major (1st choice is FYE - IE). We’ll take tour at both campuses this Spring to see which one he would like to call home. Questions: Is Purdue Polytechnic degree considered engineering degree when it comes to time to apply for grad school? Do they take different course work first 2 years compared to FYE? How are kids and faculty different between Polytechnic and FYE? Would they be considered less of an engineer on campus?
My gut feel is for him to go to UIUC since there’s no ambiguity in the future? How about class size, ability to get help, classes between the 2 schools? My son loves sports, people and social activities (not necessarily the Greek system). Just want to get some advice on how to evaluate these 2 schools and options.

Polytechnic is an Engineering Technology degree. ABET has a good read on “ Engineering Vs. Engineering Technology” programs and accreditations, which are different. https://www.abet.org/accreditation/what-is-accreditation/what-programs-does-abet-accredit/

I can only speak from observation/reputation and as a degreed engineer from long ago, but yes, I’m pretty sure they would be considered differently for grad school. The curriculum is very different - it’s a completely different college within Purdue University.

https://polytechnic.purdue.edu/degrees/mechanical-engineering-technology/plan-of-study
https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/Academics/FirstYear/FYEPOS

@passionforlife @RichinPitt is spot on. They are different beasts. That said, long ago when I was a student at UIUC, the “General Engineering” program degree (which has been renamed as “System Engineering and Design”) did not carry the same weight as one for a specific major like EE or CS. It was also viewed as being much easier to get into. What I love about Purdue is that the FYE program lets the students figure out what they like and are good at and then declare a major. UIUC is stuck in a time warp and forces you to declare major on entry, and it is really, really hard to change majors after that. If you try to go into UIUC as undeclared in engineering, you will be judged against the top applicants of the most selective major. This is one of the reasons that my own children aren’t applying to UIUC. So, my ranking of your choices would be:

1 Purdue FYE

(blank line added for emphasis)

2 UIUC General Engineering aka System Engineering and Design

3 Purdue Polytechnic

Was your son rejected for FYE? I wouldn’t give up hope from just the EA round.

i would encourage you to look up the four year plan of study for all three of these programs, along with the corresponding college of engineering curriculums. You will find that at least at Purdue, they are very different.

I would go where your son has been accepted directly to the college of engineering.

Thanks all!!@RoboticsDad - yes my son was rejected for FYE so his options are #2 and #3. He also got into Penn State for IE, UMass Amherst for IE and couple of lower ranking schools in CA for Aerospace engr. My son is more a “hands-on” guy, which is was why he chose polytechnic as #2 choice - a backup if he couldn’t get into ANY engineering programs. Most likely, he’ll be in product design for wireless industry after graduation. So maybe system design would be a good fit afterall?

@passionforlife Unfortunately, I do not know much about the re-branded General Engineering degree. Previously, what would have been called Industrial / Manufacturing Engineering was in a completely different college at UIUC. I suggest you take a deep dive into the curriculum flowcharts.

Does anyone know if there is a high probability transfer pathway from Purdue Polytechnic to the main Engineering College? Here in California, there are transfer routes to the UC Engineering programs.

@passionforlife So it looks like Industrial Engineering and General Engineering are combined in the ISE school, which is part of the UIUC College of Engineering. Unless there is a solid transfer pathway to the Purdue CoE, you are better off at UIUC. However, you might want to review your other college options. I agree with other posters that a BS is going to be more valuable even if your son doesn’t want to go to graduate school. If your son is hands-on, you should find a school with good internship or coop opportunities.

Transferring into CoE or CS from outside those colleges is very difficult at Purdue. There is a process but it’s not guaranteed if the majors are at capacity. I would not turn down a direct admit somewhere else.

@passionforlife Is there some reason that you are not considering Penn State for IE? That program is ranked highly. The UIUC program for the ISE majors is not particularly strong compared to the other majors that the CoE is known for (EE, CS, etc.). I also found the internship and coop opportunities to be very limited. It is almost impossible to transfer from the ISE majors to any other major in the CoE.

Son got admitted to system and design engineering at UIUC would it be better than comp eng at U mass Amherst …