UK Applicant thats been out of studying for a few yrs

So I have been out of studying for a few yrs due to personal reason for over 5 yrs, something have changed in my personal life and I am looking to try get back into education and pursue a degree preferably in the US and I cant seem to get any info about applying to university if you have been out of education for extended period of time. Any advice would be appreciated as I’m thinking between whether I should retake my A Levels (I’m thinking of retaking as my initial a level results are something that shows my academic capabilities) or maybe doing the SAT/ACT would look better on any of my college/uni application.

If you can retake your A-Levels to match what you’d be interested in studying in college (at Uni) and think the results would reflect your abilities, then go ahead and do it. However, would you be taking the exact same subjects? (I know “retaking” in November is a thing, though).
How long would that take you?
What subjects are you thinking of and what major (“course”) are you planning to apply for in the US?

The ACT or SAT are meant for HS students, so I’m not sure how they’d treat a returning, mature student enrolled in A-Levels. However, because a high score can “unlock” a merit scholarship, it’s probably a good idea to try.

An issue is that you’d be about 25 when you got to the US, so you’d have to choose a university with enough non-traditional age students, perhaps a residential campus where students live near campus, not in dorms.

THE big issue for all internationals is cost: what can you afford per year, without loans?