UM Financial Aid & Loans

<p>Hi everyone! I was wondering if there were any knowledgable parents or students out there that can help me with a few questions. </p>

<p>I was recently admitted to the University of Miami as a transfer student. I was awarded 27K on financial aid due to the fact that I'm an independent student. I know tuition goes up every year and I probably won't be awarded that next year.</p>

<p>They offered me three loans summing up to 8K. I'm still about 5k away from completing tuition and fees (I need to factor in school health insurance after that too). I also need books, a new laptop etc. </p>

<p>What should I do in this situation? It is beneficial to take the loans they're offering me and then search for other loans through private banks? I saw the PLUS loan that parents can sign for, only I don't have anyone to sign for me. I don't qualify for the private loans for some reason either.</p>

<p>Any advice would be helpful. Thank you! </p>

<p>What should I do in this situation?</p>

<p>Apparantly no current UM student is financially involved with their tuition and loans or no one knows what to do in this situation.</p>

<p>@OP - I don’t have any suggestions but I bumped your post at the Financial Aid forum…</p>

<p>yea take the loans, you need to make sure you have enough money so your focus can be only on school… that is if you plan on going to grad school</p>