UM First Choice after visit

<p>32 ACT gets you into Miami without Early Admission, I would probably apply regular.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>He lost his dad to cancer at 8 years old, making him a very empathetic kid who has done many generous things (donating to Hope for Haiti, sitting with an elderly neighbor every afternoon after school, etc.). He also has ADHD and PTSD, so I feel that he has overcome a lot in his short life which makes his story very compelling.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Sorry if this is more info than you bargained for!! I am working with a consultant (since I’m the only parent and I work fulltime, this whole process is very daunting for me alone) and she feels he is a great candidate.</p>

<p>

Apply Early action so he can be in the running for merit scholarships and possibly Singer/Stamps.</p>

<p>We would definitely do Early Action. At the info session they said it didn’t matter if you applied ED or EA, but is that really true? Sounded to me like EA is the best option.</p>

<p>EA’s acceptance rate is highest, regular decision is second, and ED has the lowest rate (<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1283135-class-2016-early-action-decisions-thread-9.html#post14192281[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1283135-class-2016-early-action-decisions-thread-9.html#post14192281&lt;/a&gt;).</p>

<p>Since RD doesn’t get you in the running for Singer/Stamps, EA is the best option. :)</p>

<p>Thanks so much. Everyone has been so helpful here! :)</p>

<p>Ya off the top of my head I think Early Decision is 22% acceptance rate, Regular is 39% and Early Action is 54%. Then again those numbers don’t show the entire story in terms of who else is applying with you, how many apply and how many are accepted,ect.</p>

<p>Early Action it is. Someone also recommended FAU Wilkes Honors College as a 2nd choice.</p>

<p>FAU is a very weak school… Just look at the Common Data Set: 60% of incoming freshman have an ACT between 18-23 and 35% have between 24-29. Around 84% have SAT scores of under 600 on math and CR (each)… 30% of that had under 500 on each section. Definitely not the place for a high achieving student.</p>

<p>My daughter was accepted to both UM and UF. UF is highly selective, more so than UM, the only reason that UM seems selective is due to the smaller enrollment vs applicants.
She received $34K merit scholarship from UM, which would leave us at $20K per year minimum vs $16K for UF (Bright Futures, no need based aid) including room and board. The major difference we saw is the inability to ever afford in Miami, to leave campus and live outside of the Coral Gables area. She chose Gainesville, knowing full well that she can live off campus in a relatively crime free area, in your typical college town.</p>

<p>The two schools are actually nearly identical in their selectivity, with UM having the slight upper hand (by an insignificant 10 points on the SAT). Choosing between UM and UF should come down to factors besides academics for most, because the two schools are quite similar in that regard. To say that a school is not as selective as it appears because it enrolls less students is contradictory to the term selectivity, which is a relative term. Selectivity refers to how hard it is to get into a school - this is best measured by average SAT scores and GPA, because acceptance rate doesn’t mean much when you have a relatively homogenous pool of applicants (for example, consider a school with an average SAT score of 400 - it could have a 20% acceptance rate, because the only people who apply to the school have SAT scores between 300 and 500, but that doesn’t make the school very selective). But, in either factor - percentage of students who apply that are admitted and average SAT score, UM wins out by a tiny, insignificant, margin.</p>

<p>Why anyone has mentioned UF though is a question to me because it doesn’t seem as though the original poster is considering UF.</p>

<p>Also, correct me if I’m mistaken, but I believe that Bright Futures is applicable at Miami as well as UF. And I don’t know why you would make cost of living outside of Coral Gables such a major factor in your decision; they would only be living off campus for one, maybe two years tops, and most off-campus housing is in Coral Gables itself (why anyone would want to drive through the city just to get to school every day is beyond me), and is fairly comparable to the cost of University housing.<br>
I also agree with rankinr in questioning why you would bring up UF in the first place…</p>

<p>There are several comments in the previous posts, #1.#2,#3,#7, referencing either UF or possible schools in FL. As previously indicated, my daughter chose UF over Miami, mainly due to her desire to live off campus after her freshman year. We did receive $34K in merit based including Bright Futures, Miami Grants, etc. Coral Gables is unfortunately not an area that is affordable for the average student, and the rest of Miami is either unaffordable or the third world.</p>

<p>@Mark2m My oldest spent her first 2 years at UF before transferring and graduating elsewhere. My son is a freshman at UM. I know the 2 schools very well. Bright Futures (we are Floridians) is paid to UM in the dollar equivalent of UF’s tuition. (about $4K/yr). As for Gainesville’s crime rate, you might want to check the stats on that. They have an incredibly high homeless and dropout population there that wanders all over the campus and surrounding area. I remember when a solid parade of parental cars were lined up to bring their kids home during the Danny Rollings incident. UF is certainly cheaper, but I feel my child is safer at UM.</p>

<p>Safety/crime doesn’t even compare. Gainesville is sufficiently more dangerous with more crime and less safety. That’s for the city as a whole. Then if you just simply look at the campuses, the “safety” factor is much greater at UM. The campus is somewhat closed off, whereas UF is so blended with the area around it, any John Doe can easily wander onto campus and into classes, possibly without even noticing it. I picked up on that vibe every time I was at UF and it was unsettling. Then compare the neighboring area, and in Gainesville anything that is NOT the campus just seems run-down and crappy for lack of a better term. As for UM, it’s in Coral Gables, a nice, clean area.</p>

<p>Both statistically and impression-wise, UM is much safer. </p>

<p>Gainesville crime index: 515 in 2009, 420 in 2010
Coral Gables crime index: 286 in 2009, 254 in 2010</p>

<p>[Gainesville</a>, Florida (FL) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders](<a href=“http://www.city-data.com/city/Gainesville-Florida.html]Gainesville”>http://www.city-data.com/city/Gainesville-Florida.html)
[Coral</a> Gables, Florida (FL 33146) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders](<a href=“http://www.city-data.com/city/Coral-Gables-Florida.html]Coral”>http://www.city-data.com/city/Coral-Gables-Florida.html)</p>

<p>Thanks all and no, we’re not considering UF as an option.</p>

<p>Re FAU, the only thing we’d consider there is the Wilkes Honors College in Jupiter which has a considerably different set of acceptance criteria than FAU proper.</p>

<p>UM is still his #1 choice on so many levels.</p>

<p>USF is an alright school, you may want to look into that a little bit as a backup/safety for him.</p>

<p>If I Lived in Florida I would have 1.) Miami 2.) Florida 3.) Florida State 4.) U South Florida, just an opinion</p>

<p>Thanks, but we live in NY. His list right now is #1 UM, #2 FIT, #3 FAU/Wilkes, #4 Stetson, #5 Rollins, #6 Eckerd.</p>

<p>Our counselor believes that UM is a target for him and the rest are safety schools. Unless he decides to consider anything outside FL, this will be the final list.</p>

<p>Oh and U of Tampa will be in there as well, also safety.</p>

<p>The only one of these schools we’ve visited is UM. We’re going to FIT at the end of August for their Exploration Day, at which point we’ll also go see Stetson and Rollins (my mother lives in Casselberry so we can easily go visit these schools and stay with her).</p>