UM Freshman Housing

<p>Hey guys, so I'm really excited to be a freshman at the U this fall! I just got my housing assignment today! Go Hecht! </p>

<p>So while I know the basic info about housing, I was wondering about some things that aren't on the website. Like I know there's a bathroom in the middle of each floor, but how big is it? How many showers, sinks, etc... And is it usually really crowded? I saw a model room on my campus tour; are the rooms mostly the same size? I have a double. Oh, and what are your thoughts on lofting the bed?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Son HATED loft bed freshman year. Very high. Had it removed after a few weeks. All of the double rooms are the same size. Closet is very small. Suggest one set of drawers on wheels for closet. Resist bringing too much. Of all the dorm rooms I’ve seen, UM’s are among the smallest. Not to worry–freshman dorm life is very fun. But rooms are small. Can’t comment on the bathrooms.</p>

<p>Thank you! I wasn’t too sure about the lofted bed either; I’m concerned I wouldn’t be comfortable that high. It’s nice to know that you can have it removed though; maybe I’ll try it to see if I like it.</p>

<p>By the way, does anyone know where the substance free floors are? </p>

<p>D actually liked the bed loft since it gave her more room for storage in the pretty small dorm room. She will do it again this year in Pearson. Stanford had the substance free rooms last year.</p>

<p>Substance free floors are in both Hecht and Stanford. I lived on one in Hecht last year. It’s floors 6-9 in Pentland</p>

<p>Oh, okay. How was your experience living in the sub free floors? Were the people really substance free, or did they still go out and party but just not bring it back to the dorms? </p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies everyone; they’ve been really helpful!</p>

<p>Living on a sub-free floor was such a great decision. It was honestly one of the best decisions I made at UM. The majority of people on my floor were completely sub-free, but there were a few people who would go out and just not bring it back to the dorms. Everyone was very respectful of just making sure that the floor remained sub-free. If you have any other questions feel free to message me!</p>

<p>I have a single on a substance free floor in Hecht. So stoked!</p>

<p>Awesome! What floor?</p>

<p>I got a single in Hectch! Mcdonald 502:) trying to find pictures on what it looks like</p>

<p>Pentland 8th. Shaniymarie, I have been told that the singles ending in 2 are a bit larger than others. There is a GIF room layout of Hecht singles on the []_[] website. Basically, a 10X10 room with a large closet and an additional 2’8"x4’ entrance. I’m very stoked. Once in FL., us single girls should get together for coffee. There are not many of us!</p>

<p>lofting is unnecessary </p>

<p>Are suite style dorm rooms any larger? My D is an incoming freshman and got placed in Eaton.</p>

<p>The <em>‘s website has floor plans for all dorm rooms. These include dimensions. Did your D get a single or double? For example, Eaton double is 14’6" X 16’4" (the 1 closet takes 8’ of that), while Hecht double is 10’8" X 18’ 7" (with 2 closets). Eaton has semi-private baths (4 people, one toilet, one shower, 2 sinks). Eaton single is 14’1" X 12’3" which includes private bath (living space is 14’X7’), while Hecht is basically 12’X10’ no bath. Of course, the big downside of Eaton is the lack of freshman camaraderie.
<a href=“Student Affairs I University of Miami”>Student Affairs I University of Miami;

<p>D is in a double. I understand there are also other freshman in Eaton, by wing or floor.</p>

<p>There are a few (I hear). Just not many. No big deal after the first 3 weeks of school, except for the (infamous) epic intramural battles between Stanford and Hecht (of which she will not participate). :-q </p>

<p>I lived in Stanford, and the bathroom on each floor has 4 sinks on each side of the bathroom, and I think 6 shower stalls per floor. It’s not usually crowded. I’ve only had to wait on a shower once. And all the double rooms in freshman housing are the same exact size.</p>

<p>Assigned to Hecht - Pentland</p>