UM in DC program?

<p>Hello everyone, I recently got deferred from UM ea and then waitlisted. After this had happened I thought I for sure was going to attend UF this fall.</p>

<p>Then I received info I got accepted spring 2013 and have a chance to participate in the UM in DC program.</p>

<p>I know it is the first year UM is doing this, but does anyone have any further info on this program, and is it worth it? I'm really trying to weigh my decisions here, but I cannot tell if this program is a blessing or just a waste of money.</p>

<p>Would anyone give me honest advice? If you were in my spot, would you attend summer b at UF or the UM in DC program and then start at UM in the spring of 2013.</p>

<p>This is real tough for me.</p>

<p>Congrats on your admittance!</p>

<p>Could you elaborate on the program? I’ve never heard of it, and I’m curious.</p>

<p>In any case, if I were admitted for the spring semester I would probably have gone to UF. But given the UM in DC program, that might change things. I’m interested to hear about it.</p>

<p>I’m entering in the fall, but I’m curious to know more about it as well. Is there any info online or did they send you any details in an email?</p>

<p>Honestly, if it means you’re getting into UM, regardless of when, I almost think it’s a no-brainer.</p>

<p>Go to this site [UM</a> in D.C. | Enrollment Management | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/index.php/umindc/]UM”>http://www.miami.edu/index.php/umindc/)</p>

<p>UM in DC is basically you taking a list of courses offered by American University and University of Miami professors in Washington D.C during the fall semester. Unfortunately no scholarships are available so you have to pay the full costs. From the site it says: The APPROXIMATE cost for this one semester program will be $26,654; $19,990 for tuition and $6,664 for fees, residence hall, meal plan and student health insurance fee. (Not included are books, transportation to Washington D.C., transportation to seminars and mentorship office, social and cultural activities, and transportation for trips during vacation periods.)</p>

<p>Practically, the email says that select students on the waitlisted have been selected for this first time program. These students will reside on the tenylon campus of American university and take courses here still accredited from the university of Miami. So basically it is like studying abroad for one semester, but in DC rather than overseas. It sounds interesting but I feel like I would miss the first semester freshman experience on ums real campus. Do you think this would affect me coming into um for the spring?</p>

<p>On top of that I’m still on the fall 2012 waitlist, so if I get taken off I would not do this program but instead start in Miami</p>

<p>My D was offered the same thing. She also was deferred and waitlisted, and to tell you the truth, it did not make sense at all based on what I was seeing on Naviance and what her stats and ECs/leadership roles/awards. When she received the email offering her this, I first thought it was tailor-made for her. They could plainly see from her app that she plans on double majoring in journalism and pol sci, most of her APs are in History, Gov’t and Politics, and English, and she attended Girls State, which is what she wrote her long essay on for the Common App. I started to wonder if they did this on purpose to help get their new program off the ground. Did they defer her originally because they didn’t have the details of this new program together? Did they offer her this instead of regular admission because they thought she’d jump at it based on her interests and that would be good for them? I can’t help but wonder what would happen if she turned around and told them to put her on the waitlist… Would they come back and say they found a spot for her? Miami is not one of her top choices, but I guess I like the UM School of Comm program better than she does. But what if she really wanted Miami and they did this for self-serving reasons and played with her emotions… Sadly, it just seems like a game to me!!</p>

<p>I actually wish I had been offered this… it would have been cool to get the opportunity to study in DC. I’d take the opportunity in a heartbeat.</p>

<p>I think the kids are thinking that they will miss all the 1st semester freshman stuff; meeting new people, rushing a sorority/fraternity, getting accustomed to the campus while everyone is also still new, etc…</p>

<p>My son just received the same letter. I feel its a wonderful opportunity to experience DC and then move on to his #1 choice UM. rather the just starting in Jan and receiving no credits. They have over 28,000 applicants this is a way to accommodate some of the students I feel and is an amazing opportunity. And how exciting that President of UM Donna Shalala will visit as a guest lecturer. My son will happily be accepting this offer :)</p>

<p>also- you are still on the wait list for fall</p>

<p>@stacespace at UM, rushing a sorority/fraternity occurs before spring semester (you come back a week early from winter break to go through recruitment) so you can participate in greek life even with the DC program
actually, i personally think it’d be super helpful to start off the spring semester at UM with recruitment, because you are constantly meeting people and making new friends
i recently joined a sorority, and i absolutely LOVE it! it’s amazing how many new people i’ve met and how many wonderful opportunities i’ve gotten to participate in since i’ve joined
good luck with your decision! it’s great to be a Miami Hurricane! []_[]</p>

<p>Thank you all for your help in this confusing time. She still has 3 schools to hear from and 1 more to visit before deciding. We’ll keep you posted!</p>

<p>I was offered that option too! Idk what to do though, it’s so much money! But UM is my number one choice and this is a great opportunity!</p>

<p>To all above: you can get your deposits back before May 1 st…deposit for the spring program; UMiami will see that you are committed to the program; when it comes to pulling people off the waitlist, those who have deposited will be chosen first, as long as FA is not an issue…</p>

<p>I know at least 4 students who were taken off the waitlist in the last four years after following this…</p>

<p>If you think the DC program is amazing, and would prefer that LET THEM KNOW…</p>

<p>But don’t wait to deposit if UMiami is your first choice school…and you were offered spring…</p>

<p>You can always change your mind…</p>

<p>I’m interested in the Dc program</p>

<p>I have been offered the same thing. I’m still kinda confused on how rooming and everything works?</p>

<p>I think there are a lot of unanswered questions. We are waiting out our last 3 schools and will then figure it all out!</p>