UMass Amherst Class of 2027 EA thread

Love the idea of getting to Europe more often than Northampton while a student at Smith!

2 Likes

My D has visited NYC and Boston and stayed with fellow students in a hotel/airbnb. She stayed with friends in their family homes in Europe, rural Vermont, rural NY, Long Island. Both are great experiences.

1 Like

Has anyone had experience with applying rolling admissions?

Update: UMass is turning out to look like D23’s number one choice. The only catch is if she miraculously gets into our state flagship - then she’s have to give that serious consideration.

Of course, UMASS is her most expensive option - ugh. Trying to justify an extra 6k/year for a near-perfect fit for her. She is not a kid that will automatically bloom wherever she’s planted. It would be ideal if that were the case but it’s realistically just no so for her for many many reasons.

3 Likes

Has the 6K also factored in the travel back home at Thanksgiving, Winter Break, Spring Break, etc. This is another cost that you should factor in to the COA (cost of attendance).

2 Likes

Yes we have factored that in - the only option where travel won’t be a cost is if she gets into our state flagship which is a huge unknown. All other options require travel and we have accepted that.

Sounds like you’ve justified it on your own :slight_smile:

1 Like

My husband and I both went to college in Amherst and we loved our time in the “happy valley”. Northampton is just a free bus ride down the road and it’s bigger/livelier than Amherst with lots to do. It’s easy to get around, always something going on. If you visited in summer it will have been more low-key. Our OOS daughter loves the vibe at UMASS and is excited to go. Easy to get to the area from Bradley airport, especially during peak travel times for students. Also Amtrak to NYC or Boston or New Haven, etc. To use an Irish term – it’s good craic.

4 Likes

Thank you! This is super helpful. I think she is pretty much sold on UMass - just have to figure out the finances as our net price came in a little higher than we hoped for. But it might still be doable.

I’ve been wondering about the transportation for those OOS. I’ve read to fly into Bradley and take a train. Is this an Amtrak train or a local. How close is the train station to campus? I want to take my son to to the 4/2 Destination Day but am trying to figure out whether we should drive from MD or fly/rent a car. Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve only been there once so far but in our research of the school it looks like there is an amtrak station in Northampton. Most suggestions I’ve seen for Bradley airport transport have referenced busses and shuttles.

1 Like

It’s only about an hour to campus from Bradley by car, and if you rent one you will be able to easily explore all the area has to offer while visiting. It would be a huge time-saver for sure.

For those applicants that are waitlisted, did you write a LOCI to your admissions rep?

2 Likes

I was wondering too. My son has not written one yet.

1 Like

I guess we need to ask our kids’ guidance counselors. My son wants to get into Isenberg. I’m thinking the chances of him getting in regardless of the LOCI are pretty slim.

2 Likes

My daughter takes a shuttle to and from Bradley to UMass.

1 Like

I believe they noted there’s nothing further to do

Our daughter is accepted at Umass Amherst She also ED to a college in Boston area and was accepted.
However the ED college in Boston tuition is more than what we as a parent willing to pay . It is too expensive for us. If our daughter notify ED college in Boston that her parents is not willing to pay full price for the tuition, can that college force Umass Amherst to drop our daughter admitance to Umass Amherst also ?

If ED college in Boston notify Umass Amherst that our daugher bail out from ED agreement, does Umass Amherst also drop our daughter even though she is already accepted ?

1 Like

Once your student enrolls, it would be very easy for him to get back-and-forth with a shuttle from the airport. However, for a family coming to explore I would definitely rent a car or drive from Maryland. The drive from Bradley is a piece of cake. Bradley is a low-key airport in northern Central Connecticut close to the Massachusetts line. It’s not in Hartford and it’s not large. Rental should be easy.

1 Like

I believe not being able to afford the ED school’s financial aid offer is a way to get out of early decision. Your daughter should let the school in Boston know that you are not accepting their offer of admission if that is the final decision.

1 Like