UMass vs Iowa State (Honors) for Computer Engineering

My DS trying to decide between UMass Amherst and Iowa State. Major in both is Computer Engineering and Iowa State has Honors acceptance too. He wants to eventually find a job on East coast. Iowa State has COA of 15K (plus travel and hotel cost as we’re from MA) and UMass has COA of 35K/year. Thanks in advance!

Both schools are excellent schools with ABET accreditation in Computer Engineering. If you and your son are okay with the distance from home, Iowa State seems to be the clear winner, with both lower cost and Honors acceptance. I’m sure your son will have no difficulty finding jobs on the east coast after graduating from Iowa State.

1 Like

Finding a job (interviewing through hiring) is often done on line today - so where you are isn’t relevant.

So if Iowa State is all you can afford or it is liked otherwise, then no issues.

My son interviewed with 20 companies or so, 5 offers and only one company flew him him (and he didn’t get that job).

It’s a different world - when he starts next month he’ll have never met anyone in person - or seen any facility. And he’s going from the SE to Mountain West.

Good luck.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.