UMass vs UConn

I’m a mother of twin senior girls from Massachusetts. One of my twins is going to umass Amherst and the other wants to go to UConn. The only reason my daughter applied to UConn is because we thought she would get in state tuition. Well we just found out that that’s not the case. The only way she can get in state tuition is if the major is not offered at Amherst and they offer it at UConn. What a bummer!! Anyways does anyone know what’s not offered at Amherst, but is offered at UConn. My daughter can not go to UConn if she doesn’t get in state tuition. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!!

I don’t know the answer…but your daughter should go to a college where she can major in something she wants to major in…or is related. These two flagships offer very similar undergrad majors.

@ucbalumnus you are usually good at figuring this out.

1 Like

Seems like she needs to find a major that she like in the UConn list but not in the UMass list.

https://www.umass.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/explore/academics/majors

You can look for yourself on the websites of the two universities. Majors are typically listed under the Academic section and the course catalogs are typically online.

But FWIW I think it is important you D study what she wants. Plus if she attends UConn she may not be able to change majors (without paying OOS fees) if her interests change/expand over time. It is not uncommon for students to change majors while in college.

2 Likes

It’s not in-state tuition. It’s at a rate that is less than OOS, but more than in-state, IF it’s a major that isn’t available at UMass, but is available at UConn. Here is the website: New England Regional Student Program | Undergraduate Admissions : Undergraduate Admissions

I sure hope that she made in-state options, too. I agree, she should not twist her major in order to try to get reduced tuition at UConn. I’m assuming that she also applied to UMass Amherst, was accepted, and that’s where she is going.

5 Likes

What is her intended major? Did she qualify for any merit? They may not let you use the regional price in addition to merit.

You may want to look at this website. It isn’t 100% clear, but it looks like you have to submit your application with an eligible major and get approved for the Tuition Break program. Also, if you switch out, you go to full OOS rate.

And to be clear - it’s not UConn versus UMass. The major can’t be offered at ANY of the State schools in MA to qualify they going to any other State school program in New England.

30 years ago I worked in the A/R department at one of the MA Colleges and can tell you it was a SMALL handful of kids that qualified for the NE Regional Tuition. And yes, if you get in under that tuition plan and change majors you go back to paying OOS Tuition.

It looks like this site also has the available majors. You just have to select UConn and then look for one’s available for MA. The good news is that Puppetry is available.

https://db.nebhe.org/fmi/webd/TuitionBreak?homeurl=https://www.nebhe.org/tuitionbreak

This is not entirely true. For example, my son from NH was accepted for marine science- despite the existence of a comparable program at UNH in Marine/Freshwater Bio.

This PDF is a little easier than the website.

Adding that we did not have to list anything other than the major when applying.

For those not interested in clicking on the various links, these are the majors at U. Conn that are available to Massachusetts residents through the tuition break program:

1 Like

If meeit wss swarded. It is not on top of the regionalbtuition deal.

We had this situation, where the max OOS merit was several K better than the reguonal discount, which i am not even sure was an option.

Correct.

Also, remember, if they change majors they will no longer get the tuition exchange.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.